Vista Compatible FW

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Diver, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

What is available now for a Vista compatible firewall? I know this has been asked before, but things seem to be changing on a daily basis regarding all things Vista.

Must have decent outbound application filtering.

I was looking at the possibility of using outbound filtering in the native Vista FW, but MS made it too difficult.

2. hiro

hiro Registered Member

Jetico Personal Firewall operating systems support
    Windows Vista
    Windows Vista x64 edition

Windows Server 2003
    Windows Server 2003 x64 edition
    Windows XP
    Windows XP x64 edition
    Windows 2000

http://www.jetico.com/jpf2.htm

Jetico Personal Firewall is unique rule based firewall on the market. Its open confuguration does not contain hidden rules and dependencies. You can inspect or modify every bit of configuration.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Look N Stop 2.06 was recently released. It supports Vista now.

4. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Choice is quite limited. You could use Jetico 2, Look n Stop, PC Tools Firewall. I like neither of them too much as they are too technical for my needs. Then you can still look for security suites. Bitdefender, KIS, NIS, Avira SS, Mc Afee, PC Cillin, Panda, GData. But maybe I oversee some. I tried several I sticked with NIS for the time being. It's very light and the firewall is kept simple, just what I want.

For a overview of firewalls and their OS's look at:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/links.php#personal-firewalls

But it's not updated regularly maybe, as it still doesn't mention that Avira is Vista ready, for example.

5. oldboy

oldboy Registered Member

The "Sygate Personal Firewall Free 5.6.2808" is also suported by Vita!

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I finally managed to get the Vista built in firewall to work with outbound filtering. It is rudimentary at best. The trick is getting windows update to work.

Make a custom rule for svchost.exe limited to windows update service, TCP ports 80 and 443. Nearly every other program requiring internet access will be trivial. They probably should have put in a rule for this.

The built in networking rules take care of most other chores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.