vista... av's, firewall's and suites... which ones are out now??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

can anyone tell me what of the above are out now for vista. id like to try some new ones for my laptop since the nod ess will just not run right no matter what i do.. i know nod, and lns work with vista.. but what else now?? thanks in advance

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Have a look HERE :D

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Trialing KIS 7 and it seems to be working very well.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

All the big players have AV's and suites out for Vista, but there are very few separate firewall applications at this time.

5. zfactor

since i know i cant ask about certain things... can i ask people to post what their suite is using resource wise..?? would that be okay? im looking for something that doesnt require to much to run since my wife's laptop isnt really the best thing in the world and only has 1gb or ram total in vista home premium.. ?? lmk if this is not okay ill edit the post..

this would really help me out though. thanks

have the kav chkdisk issues been fixed yet?? again just curious before i try it??

also does anyone make a suite that does not have a looong start up time. this is my wife's main complaint about what she is using now. thanks again

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think avg's suite has the fastest boot up, followed closely by panda and kaspersky, but i think all new versions for this year are very! acceptable.

as for ram usage, same really, i dont really think any are a huge amount now, 2008 versions seem to have improved even more so on 2007 regarding this.

i dont think the chkdsk issues have been fixed in kaspersky.

7. zfactor

anyone have any experience with the avg firewall included?? i dont think ill go back to panda again. i had some issues in the past with them. i am trialing antivir now, and am also curious about the f-secure suite... please dont make this a vs thread i dont want it closed again i am simply trying to see which the try next. thanks

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it started at avs, firewalls and suites.

Dr.Web (AV+antispam)

3 processes
    Spidernt.exe 488k
    Spiderui.exe 988k
    Spiderml.exe 22.4mb

if you dont need spidermail, the antivirus is lower than any regarding ram usage and probably boot up too.

but.......

now you seem to be wanting just a suite.

i aint allowed to say why i give my recommendations or the thread will get locked, which i dont want to happen for you, however... here they are:

F-secure Internet Security 2008
    Norton Internet Security 2008
    AVG Internet Security

Bitdefender Internet Security 2008 'would' also make my recommendation 'if' they would make it a little less buggy.

give them a try and good luck :)

9. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If you are running Vista, just get lots of ram and forget about whether Suite A uses 40 MB more than Suite B. Overall system performance, compatibility, and usability are more important. Remember, what shows in the task manager is not the whole story.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course,

best way to test is to try it yourself and see how fast things work when you do your usual tasks in comparison to others you try.

the rest of the details, should be pointless ;)

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Get lot's of ram for the laptop? Expensive advice that's for sure.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, its cheaper to buy a new laptop then upgrade it o_O

13. zfactor

yeah this is simply her desk unit at her office its really nothing special and im not going to upgrade it it doesnt serve any purpose except simple office tasks and internet use nothing more. dr web i have always been curious about but they have alwasy shown lower in the av comp tests i have always put them off as not wanting to try them.. maybe ill check them out and see what i think. still looking for other options as well..

14. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Surely, you jest..:D

If the KAV Chkdsk issue was fixed, BELIEVE ME, I'd know about it. I'm one of the "affllicted". LOL..

I am trialing Avira Premium Suite myself. I use it on Win 2000 SP 4. I can tell you, this product hardly affects the boot up time. I think it's Vista compatible...

Attached Files:

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Norton 08 is good, runs just fine on my machine , quick boot time & minimal impact of performance...

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

right now, Aviras suite is the most dependable out there and provides the best bang for the buck. I have trialed them all.

17. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Its going to be mainly suites for Vista. No Zone Alarm Pro, just Free and the suite. Sygate was swallowed up by Symantec, Tiny was sold, Black Ice is discontinued. Eset will release a firewall only as part of a suite. If I recall, Outpost will be a suite for Vista. The few available stand alone firewalls for Vista (ZA Free, PCTools, LnS, Jetico) leave a lot to be desired IMO. Perhaps Comodo will save the day, when its ready. Its just business.

18. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I'm using the AVG+Firewall, not the suite,and I'm very satisfied with it.
    Lite, low resource usage, no slowdowns and if it wasn't for the occasional pop up by the firewall to allow or disallow a program, you'd never know it was there.
    The FW is not as configureable as some but that's ok with me.
    This is behind a firewalled router and basically wanted it for outgoing only.
    I don't use the suite because I have MailWasher Pro, so I don't need the spam filter and am using ThreatFire so I didn't need their AS.

KAV has not fixed their chkdsk issue yet and that's why I'm using AVG+FW and would not use the previous mentioned again.
    Onward and Upward!:D
    Dan

19. zfactor

im looking at avira and f-secure now. there has always been something i have not liked about avg. ill look at it again though as well.

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the av's you mentioned.
    Just a matter of your preference and what works the best on your machine.
    Happy testing! :D
    Dan

21. xandros

xandros Registered Member

very nice site
    thank you

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

now to finally answer the question, Aviras suite is the way to go. For one you dont have to wait a year for any so called enhancements. Once they feel they have something new to offer that is tested and ready, they just add it. Currently the Spam plugin for Outlook is being tested and it works perfectly. So there, question answered.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.