Vista 64 Disk Imaging

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by GideonD, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

I have Vista 64 Home Premium on a new laptop I just bought. I'm looking for a disk imaging software that works with Vista 64 and is preferably free. I have Paragon Drive Backup 9 on my XP 32 machine and it works great, but I'd have to buy another license for a 64 bit copy. I'd like to avoid spending anymore if at all possible. Any input is appreciated.

2. estra

estra Registered Member

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Btw to get the 64bit version of paragon all you need to do is login with the login info you received (email when you purchased) and download the 64bit version from here

This way you can have the paid version of paragon on your new pc if you wish and install the free version on your older computer.

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I use Image for Windows/Image for DOS on my Windows XP Pro PC's. It is not free but it is considered very reliable. Terabyte Unlimited says that it works with 64 bit Windows. I have used Image for DOS for Windows 7 RC 32 bit backup and restore and it works fine.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

works great on vista 64bit here its my main imaging program.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Another one not mentioned yet is Clonezilla. I use it on Vista x64 (or any Win for that matter) as well as Linux with success, no issues:

http://clonezilla.org/

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

9. GideonD

Thanks for all the input. I should have mentioned that I'd like something that does compression on the image file it creates, which rules out the free version of Paragon. I'll certainly check into the others though.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Clonezilla does compress the image files.....

11. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I use Clonezilla, works great :cool:

12. GideonD

Good to know. I'll definitely check into that one.

13. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

If I remember correctly, both Macrium Reflect Free and Paragon Drive Backup Free allow compression of the images. :thumb:

14. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I've been interested in topics such as these for a long time. I've used most every imaging program you can imagine. There are some, such as Drive Snapshot and Image for Windows, that I really liked. But the fact of the matter is that all hardware will eventually fail. There's no way around that. That being said, wouldn't it make the most sense to use an imaging program that has the ability to restore images to different hardware then when the images was created? I think so. There are only a few applications that can do that intended for desktop use. I suggest ShadowProtect for all the above reasons.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

So far all the computers in my house all still work going back to 1996.
    windows gets slower and slower overtime so i prefer fresh installs even on the same hardware and wouldnt want to bring the crap along to new hardware. I normally use a computer for roughly 4 years before buying a new one. By then a new windows version has come out and matured by then so I get a new OS and simply install my apps and restore my data.

16. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

How does that old adage go....different strokes for different folks? I know that for me I will not change my software configuration, at least in any major way. If my hardware were to die I'd take comfort in the fact that I can get my config back after the worst of circumstances. I've worked too hard to get everything "perfect". I am very much a minimalist and don't accept bloat or lagging systems. Because of my overly-watchful eye your concern is not mine.

Anyway, ShadowProtect is another option that does support x64.

To Each His Own.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

An image has usefulness in the short term for me, for example, when experimenting or trying something new I'm not sure about, I will often image first, then go ahead and do the dirty deed, and if it doesn't work out, then restore the image.

But long term I prefer a fresh install myself. After many months pass, most of the drivers on the image are outdated need updating plus Win updates are not up to date either. And often apps themselves are out of date as well. And chances are I've changed a lot of other things too.

I keep any real data that I care about backed up to DVD, and have a 2nd HD for data as well.

I have now gotten to a point where I don't use images that much at all, except just for temporary backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.