VirusTotal Hash Check Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

1. The upload size is limited to 64MB (wow seems like yesterday it was 30). Is there a way to check the hash of any program or file larger than that?

2. What is the official Google Chrome extension for checking hashes?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

3. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

4. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

would be nice if the linux distros developers can upload their new versions right away and then we don't have to even mess with copying or comparing hash numbers...

every developer of even the smaller utilities should be uploading to VT as soon as they release a new version of their programs

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Linux Distros on VirusTotal? Maybe if Google is overly generous or if you're talking about a distro like Tiny Core Linux. Really, why would you want to do that in the first place?

That depends, but the onus isn't on them to upload every update to VirusTotal.

6. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

You can download Advanced Process Analysis and Identification System technician's Edition
    http://hermes-computers.ca/apais_1.php

Scan your file it will generate multiple checksums, it will also do large files... today I did a 190 meg file.... it can do bigger.

The registered version will create a tracker report (multiple signatures are there and you can use it to analyse those checksums directly via virustotal.com and several others....

It's very powerful and useful.
    Try it...
    Download from here: http://hermes-computers.ca/downloads.php

7. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

eh, all the hashes should be uploaded there for every file, then the download manager checks it and you know you got the intact uncorrupted file and its clean. no wasting time with uploading files yourself or copying hashes or downloading the md5 txt files.

in the case of known entity like linux distros you're not checking for malware, youre just getting the hash result quicker and not having to do it manually. its all automated.

only downside is more data mining for google

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You do know that those huge files need to be uploaded and scanned first before hash can be generated right? Sure it can be more convenient, but I don't see why they'd think it's worthwhile.

9. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

That is what digital signatures are for. Well, they guarantee the file hasn't been modified since they were signed, not necessarily that it isn't malicious. But then again, just because a file shows up as clean on VirusTotal doesn't mean it's not infected either.

I would be surprised if there wouldn't be at least one open source download manager to automatically check md5, sha1, or GPG signatures for downloads based on the digital signatures provided in the same download directory.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  10. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

My input was simply to use A.P.A.I.S. as multiple hash generator if needed, I may have misunderstood the original question. However it's designed to scan locally but you also have the option of comparing the generated hashes via virus total... :cautious:

Dual purpose is better :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.