Viruses found...but not recorded in logs

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by krumbs, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Ok, this is a weird one.

Set my NOD32 to log DETAILED logs and to list all files. After the scan was completed, it said it had found 4 viruses. Exported the log to a TXT file to do a search and find out which files had the viruses, and lo and behold, nothing! Every single line in the log file has "is ok" at the end of it.

I am running the Beta 2.5. Anyone else noticed this?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you check the tray icon, logs, virus log?

3. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Yup, the virus log is empty. But the NOD32 scan reports 4. o_O

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Strange alright. What happens if you don't "list all files" for a scan?
    You can also right click on the files for info.

5. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

I've started a rescan, without "list all files"...I will see what I get.

6. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Same results, except that because I used the on-demand scanner, I had popups. I was able to see that the viruses were adware (Alexa). But still, nothing logged in the virus logs.

This has got to be a bug with the beta, no?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Very good question.

8. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi krumbs:

Logs are for different things and all my logs look fine using the Beta. Maybe you just need to re-install?

Event logs: The Event Log stores information of all events that have occured. This log lists the following information:

Time - the date and time of occurrence of the event
    Module - the name of the NOD32 module which generated the entry
    Event - a brief description of the event

Virus logs: The Virus Log section displays a window listing itemized information on the viruses detected by the NOD32 on-access modules (AMON, IMON, and NMS).

To access the list, click the Virus Log item under Logs in the main NOD32 Control Center window.

The following information is provided by the “Viruses” window:

Time - lists the time that a particular virus was detected
    Module - displays the NOD32 module responsible for the virus detection
    Object - lists the type of infected object
    Name - provides the name and folder of the infected object
    Virus - the name of the virus detected
    Action - the action performed by NOD32 when the virus was detected
    Info - additional information about the incident
    To get more detailed information on an incident, double-click on the line in the log.

Scanner logs: The NOD32 (On-Demand) Scanner log lists the following information:

Scan Date & Time
    Description of directories scanned
    Total number of scanned, infected, and cleaned files
    Scan status
    Double-clicking any entry with the mouse will show more detail about that scanning session. To delete an entry right-click on it and select "Delete selected" from the pop-up menu.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  9. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

I understood all of what you wrote rumpstah before I started the thread...(I think) ;)

So, we agree that all viruses detected should at least be recorded in the virus log, correct? Well, it doesn't for me. The NOD32 logs display that there were 4 viruses found (NOD32 Scanner Logs), but when I double click on it to read the details of the scan (the first time around, I had "List all files" enabled), I see no red line line indicating the file where the virus was found. Each line ended with "- is ok".

I am starting to wonder now if this could have something to do with my editing my config file (the XML file) directly. Because my config file doesn't seem to have the same settings as what shows in the Control Center. Though, when I look at the scanner logs through the control center, it shows clearly that the profile being used for the scan is the one I modified. (Side question: what the sure way to make NOD32 use 1 profile and 1 profile only in all its 'incarnations'? i.e. for on-deman scanning, through the control center or not, scheduled task, etc. I am still confused in that area after reading the help 3 times)

Getting weirder and weirder, uh? o_O

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Krumbs, can you please send an email to beta25@eset.sk and place a link to this thread.

We would appreciate if you would keep us up to date with your progress, as we all learn this way...

Cheers :D

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I would suggest to delete all NOD32 Scanner logs and repeat the scan as I assume you must have looked at the wrong scanner log. This has always been working perfectly since NOD32 2.000.1 - I've always used the logs when I needed to find certain virus on my collection.

12. krumbs

krumbs Registered Member

Sorry everyone...but no luck so far with ESET support. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.