Viruscape....A new antivirus on the market?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BadWolf, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Re: A new antivirus on the market?

Thats about the same as KAV with extended database.

2. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

So has anyone tried this yet? Would love to hear some more feedback.

3. TeraInnovations

TeraInnovations Registered Member

For those of you who are waiting for the release to download it, I posted some screenshots. (Note: they are jpegs, the real interface is a high-quality bitmap)

http://www.terainnovations.com/vsscan.jpg
    http://www.terainnovations.com/vsupd.jpg
    http://www.terainnovations.com/vsoptions.jpg
    http://www.terainnovations.com/vshome.jpg

We thought a lot about the color. It was red for quite a while but now decided on blue. Minor adjustments may be made... we recently (last week) changed it to blue, so the interface is still under some development.

-Tera Innovations, Incorporated Support Team

4. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

It's better if the experts do not comment on this. The CEO of the company, i only write here the first name: Joe is a wellknow VX'er, known under the name VirusJoe. There were for years ongoing "fooling" with his previous company Sybertrek, but i think Jottie (from the Online Malware Scan) or Julio from Virus Total will most likely comment on this. I'm not going to explain here more - that's none of my business most likely others will do.

5. TeraInnovations

We have an 'extended database' like Kaspersky has, but it is installed by default and counted in with the rest of the definitions. It is disabled by default though, and the definitions are all 'PossiblyUnwanted'
    For example: because of some people getting angry with us detecting old versions of mIRC, we decided to group them all into PossiblyUnwanted definitions which are easily turned off.

It is also easy to use our File Exclusion utility to block individual files.

About people testing ViruScape more - go ahead, but be fore-warned, engine changes are partially done in the current build, so, detection may be scattered. We completed the first run of false positive removal tonight, and will have results back tomorrow on a tentative release date.

6. TeraInnovations

HappyBytes -
    If you would check your email, there is a long email describing the false accusations. We would appreciate it if you respond, privately, and discuss what factual 'evidence' you have behind these accusations.

I see no reason why this should be brought out publically because really, there is no proof, and I know that Joe did not do anything you or Jotti have accused him of.

7. TeraInnovations

Although our previous name was SyberTrek, I do not see how this was 'fooling'.
    We changed names merely because SyberTrek is too hard to communicate to someone. We had dozens of people complaining because 'CyberTrek' and 'CyberTech' and 'SyberTech' were not us.

So, we decided to change the name to something very easily communicable. We have invested a great deal of money into this project, and would appreciate it, Mike, if you would not attempt to slander our name. We made public announcements that SyberTrek was moving to Tera Innovations and the website still redirects.

Let the users and researchers formulate their own opinions. We have nothing to hide - we will openly and truthfully answer any question posed.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Excuse my ignorance. But what's a VX'er?

9. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

i should check my email? Why? I didn't get anything from you.
    I only know we had to bann joe out of the malware forum because more than half of ALL AV COMPANIES complained about his membership there. So you really think it's only Jottie and me? Personally i have nothing against this - i do not even know him - it was brought to my attention by well respected AV people.

10. TeraInnovations

There have been accusations that, I believe, because our president's name is Joe, he MUST be 'VirusJoe', a virus writer. If some hacker named themselves VirusBill, would Bill Gates be that person?

VX technically means - 'Virus eXchange' - it is a taboo practice where malicious people send viruses back and forth.

Have we done this? No.
    Would we need to? No.

We have spent a lot of money incorporating, getting the appropriate intellictual properties (trademarks, copyrights, etc) and establishing a reputation, but it is just heinous to have a good thing ripped down.

For how much time I have put into this project, I would like to see it succeed as much as anyone else.

11. alien x

alien x Registered Member

are you planing to join the well known and trusted http://www.av-comparatives.org tests?
    I like the idea of an extremly light antivirus:D

12. TeraInnovations

As soon as our engine gets stabilized, we are going to implement the appropriate measures to get it tested by accredited establishments.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've read you are removing the false positives (f/p) and that's VERY GOOD,
    because these f/p's are a serious problem for less-knowledgeable users and will most probably deleted by them, while knowledgeable users and experts will not delete these f/p's and even report them to you.
    That's old news of course, because that happens on a regular base in any existing AV-scanner.

What I would like to see in an AV-scanner is an additional feature that simplifies the report of a f/p to your company.
    At the moment when such a f/p is listed amongst the real detected viruses, all data is available to create an AUTOMATIC f/p report and you know better than me, what kind of data you need in that f/p report in order to fix the problem in your software. I'm not the expert, you are the expert.

The more easier you make it for knowledgeable users and experts to report f/p's, the more f/p's will be reported to you.
    After all these people are also human, which means that they don't have always the time to write an email or are too lazy to report a f/p.
    Many AV scanners have options like : "delete", "quarantine", ... why not also an option for "report f/p".
    The more f/p's are reported world-wide to you, the less f/p's you have in your AV scanner and that means less average users, who deleted a f/p, because they didn't know.

I think you would be the very first AV scanner on earth with that feature.
    Of course it's up to you to decide, I'm only suggesting an improvement of your AV scanner : better f/p reporting, better quality of your AV scanner and lesser victims of f/p's and the last one is the most important one.

14. TeraInnovations

This is a good idea and will drastically decrease the problems users have. I will run it past our GUI design team to find a place to put it in.
    Thanks!

15. alien x

alien x Registered Member

16. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Did any of the team have any connections with virus writers in the past ? I don't know ! If they did but have decided to go straight then i would say that should be welcomed. Much better for them to be with us rather against us don't you think. We all do things when we're younger that maybe we wished we hadn't, but we can't change the past only shape the future.

The other thing is it's a very fine line between coding virues etc, and coding definitions etc for them to include in an AV/AT etc database. So if any of them have had previous experience in that area it could be to our advantage maybe ! Of course then comes the big trust question. But trying to launch an AV company and product isn't going anywhere without it, from both sides. So the onus is on Tera Innovations to provide as much upfront and continued Total Honesty about all of this so we can all be confident in them and the product/s. And the allegations by happy bytes must be substantiated or withdrawn.

But as i already said, if any of them were involved in any way before in dodgy practices, whether directly or indirectly, but now the've moved on in life and turned over a new leaf, well good for them, and us ! But if any of is true, then they must come clean ASAP to gain our trust.

On the subject of colour etc i prefer something like this

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/746/vsscan10ug.png

StevieO

17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

The conditions to participate in my tests would not allow to this AV to participate.
    Also I would not really call this product as "anti-virus", should I test it separatly, I would do it only if I would be allowed to publish all facts/results/etc.
    I do not like to comment this program etc. further. The important things has all been already said in this thread.

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Wow IBK. Course I don't know the story.:eek:

19. DjMaligno

DjMaligno Hispasec/VirusTotal

Well, all I can say is that all the sources I've spoken with about Mr. Jaroch and his products makes us (in the VirusTotal service) refuse to include it. I'm still contacting some more people to get as much information about the matter, but the people we've contacted by now are really trustworthy and didn't said anything specially nice about this person behind the project.

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Of course it is not just the name (or location/IP) that some peoples showed.
    Maybe you should change the president :p

I really doubt that any of the other trusted big av companies would share samples with you or that a new company gets enough submission from users. So where do you (or your president) get your samples from? why it detects only some marked viruses but none of its replicants? its all very strange....

21. BadWolf

BadWolf Registered Member

maybe I'm not always connected to Internet? o_O :doubt:

Yesterday I posted that only because I found this strange virus scanner on HotDownload website and I would ask you :doubt:

What is this story about this company you all are talking about? :blink: I shouldn't install it?

22. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Well, they say that curiosity killed the cat, and in a few minutes I'll know whether ViruScape killed my PC. If I don't post back by tomorrow, then either I fell in love with ViruScape and hate its critics, OR I'm reloading Windows! Or possibly, I got 25 to life in the eclectic chair.

David
    Devout Idiot

23. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

It's a common "Question and Answer" technique used in spamming product on boards.

24. TeraInnovations

No matter what gossip ends up being said, in the end, does the scanner work? Some people may have spread some rumors about it not finding file infector infections, but this is just incorrect. As we do not have a super massive team, it takes longer to add them, but he was testing a pre-release version that was far from complete.

What may be said may be said, but really - we are not out to do anything wrong, we HAVEN'T done anything wrong, so why punish us for it?

To StevieO: although there are a few virus writers which have become security 'professionals', that is definitly not an acceptable practice, and is more of a fluke than actual 'history'.

25. TeraInnovations

Spamming: again, we did not start this topic - I am merely answering questions.

We acquired our virus samples from contacts at many different universities, businesses, antivirus researchers, making legitimate antivirus exchanges, certain web based distribution systems, and by researching and analyzing viruses daily (finding dozens of new, malicious websites and reporting their URLs to private security lists)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.