Virus submissions vanishing from log???

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Olliex2, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olliex2

Olliex2 Registered Member

The ThreatSense.net submission system seems really patchy - can anyone help me out on this?

Firstly, I had my settings on 'Ask Before Submitting' and 'Submit during update'. But it never asked about submitting anything, and as as far as I know never did submit anything. Then, yesterday, I happened to change the setting to 'Submit as soon as possible' and immediately it popped up a window asking whether I wanted to submit a virus that had been caught absolutely *ages* ago. So it seems that the 'Submit during update' function wasn't functioning.

Secondly, after submitting the file, it didn't show up in the Event Log as 'The file xxx had been sent to Eset's labs for analysis'. Why not??

Also, when I manually submit viruses from quarantine that are 'unknown variants' or 'unknown', some of them have been recorded in the Event Log as 'The file xxx had been sent to Eset's labs for analysis' but some aren't. This means I'm never sure which have been sent successfully and which haven't.

I'm not saying the submission system/logging in 2.50.16 is necessarily broken or buggy - just *very* inconsistent.

Any ideas?

Is this a known issue? Or fixed in 2.50.19?? (I very much doubt it having seen 2.50.19's tiny changelog!)

2. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi Olliex2:

Did you update from the beta, over the top of a previous version, or was it a clean install?

The submission of files that are logged in the Event log are for files which Eset does not currently have in their possession/database. The submission system contacts the server, the server checks to see if it has the sample, if not, then it requests the sample, thus creating the log entry for the sent sample.

Having a few million files hit the server when an outbreak took place could make for some nice traffic. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.