Virus Signature Database Update problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by llwills, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llwills

llwills Registered Member

Hi there,

I recently did a system restore on my laptop and updated my ESET Smart Security 5.

I have updated to Version 5.2.9.1 and am operating on Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 AMD V120 Processor (2194 MHz), 1787 MB Ram.

The problem is that on the ESET 'Home' page I have the red messages saying "Maximum protection is not ensured" and "Virus signature database is out of date."

When I go to the 'Update' section, it says 'Update is not necessary - the virus signature database is up to date.'

Last successful update: 19/11/2012 (Nb: I think this is the system restore point/date I used)

Virus signature database version: 7753.

When I click on 'Update' nothing happens. It just stays on 0%. 0 kB/0 k B.

Does anyone have any idea what I've done wrong and how I might be able to fix this?

Please and thank you.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello llwills,

Go to the Control Panel, right click on the ESET program and select change. It will give you the option to repair the program. Select repair and see how it goes.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Please troubleshoot your update issue.

4. llwills

Hi ronjor.

Thank you for your reply. I have just finished trying what you suggested but alas, no luck. It still shows the same messages. I appreciate your help. :)

5. siljaline

Repairing your installation is not the solution to your issue, I'm sorry to offer a different opinion, in this case

6. llwills

Hi siljaline. Thank you for your response and for the link. I'm making my way through those suggested solutions and as I check off each one, I'm sadly realizing that my computer probably has a virus. :doubt:

7. siljaline

You're welcome, keep us posted, the ESET KB's on virus signature issues are complete and extensive. In the event you suspect you may have an infection, My computer has a virus – what should I do.

8. TomFace

TomFace Registered Member

I too had a similar issue related to (I thought a failed) system restore. Eset was red, the last update showed the system restore date selected but virus signature version showed the current version. It also would not update. As it was late, I just shut down for the night, did not mess with the proxy settings. My thought was when I started up the next day and a newer virus version had been released it should update itself. And that's exactly what happened.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  9. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

check your system [computer] date is *today's* date.

i had some momentary issues [on my xp] when for some inexplicable reason, my system date kept reverting to 'build date' and my ess updates reacted similary to yours.

if it is out of wack, reset your computer date [to today], then reupdate your version/signature --- that was my problem; let's hope it's just a simple for you :)

good luck!

10. llwills

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions!

After much agonizing over this yesterday and trying the suggested solutions on the ESET KB website, and after multiple restarts and shut downs and scanning for viruses...I had no success so gave up, turned my computer off and figured I'd try again tomorrow...well, I am happy to report that after I turned it on today, I was able to update the database successfully (2/12/2012; 7755) and thankfully it seems everything is as it should be! So relieved to see that nice green tick again. :)

Thank you so much to all of you for your help.

I really appreciate it!

11. siljaline

Thanks for the progress report, please post back if you should have additional thoughts, comments or otherwise.

ESET has an online issue ticket system. Feel free to use it at any time.

12. TomFace

TomFace Registered Member

llwills, good for you! Sometimes it's just better to tuck it away, walk away and tackle it in the morning.:D Green is GOOD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.