"Virus scanner initialization has failed"...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Chippy_boy, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy Registered Member

"Most of the ESET NOD32 Antivirus modules will not function properly".

++++++++++

I hope someone can kindly help? I keep getting this error message on boot up.

Here's what's happened: Yesterday, Windows 7 told me of 4 updates it needed to install, so I installed them and rebooted. On reboot, Windows uninstalled them and gave me an error code in the install history. It turned out the updates could not be applied because some files were already in use.

The only way I managed to fix this was to temporarily disable the Eset service ekrn.exe. Then I was able to do the Windows 7 update successfully. So I then went into Services Manager to set Eset Service to Automatic again, but it would not let me with a "Access Denied" message.

So I tried repairing NOD32. That didn't fix it. So I uninstalled and resintalled. Now I am in the position described above. Every time I boot up, NOD32 comes up in orange (not green) and says ""Virus scanner initialization has failed. Most of the ESET NOD32 Antivirus modules will not function properly".

Has anyone any idea how to fix this?

I have tried uninstalling manually and deleting all the appropriate folders and removing the ehdrv driver manually too. But it doesn't fix it.

I am reluctant to run the ESETuninstaller.exe in case it makes things even worse!

2. Chippy_boy

OK, I have an update. I ran the ESETUninstaller.exe utility and successfully removed NOD32.

Now I just reinstalled again and I have exactly the same error as before, "Virus scanner initialization has failed" etc.

Something is preventing NOD32 from starting up OK, yet nothing has changed on my system other than yesterday's Windows updates (which were KB2597938, KB2532531, KB2555917 & KB25333623).

How can I get NOD32 working again if a complete uninstall doesn't fix ito_O

3. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

It's possible that running the manual uninstaller did not remove all components of NOD32. What build of NOD32 did you have installed?

You may have to run the manual uninstaller in safe mode again, then check these items to ensure their removal:

Registry values to delete:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | egui

Registry keys
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\eamon
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\essdrv
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ehttpsrv
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\epfwtdir
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\eamon
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\essdrv
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ehttpsrv
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ekrn
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\epfwtdir
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\eamon
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\essdrv
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\ehttpsrv
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\ekrn
    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\epfwtdir

Drivers
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\eamon.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ehdrv.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\epfw.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\epfwwfpr.sys

Folders
    C:\Program Files\Eset\ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    C:\Program Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus

If you still have an issue with reinstalling, I encourage you to open a case with ESET Customer Care.

Regards,

Matt

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A boot log from Process Monitor would shed more light.

5. Chippy_boy

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help.

I did find some registry entries under Controlset001, which I have now removed, so not sure if that was the problem although I would have thought unlikely.

Unfortunately I can't tell you specifically what verson I was trying to install, but it was a fresh download from eset.com yesterday, so I would assume latest version.

I have to say having wasted *hours* on this, I have for the moment given up and installed Antivir, which seems to be working just fine. I just can't afford to waste any more time at the moment.

When I do have some more time, I will uninstall this and try again with NOD and if it still doesn't work, I will raise a support case. NOD is very much my preferred solution :)

I really don't know what caused all this in the first place though. I have never had problems with NOD preventing regular MS updates from being applied. And why on earth I was prevented from setting eset service to Automatic in the services manager, I have no idea. Why would that come up "access denied"o_O

I have to say, at the back of my mind I still have a nagging doubt about some persistent malware after the infection I think I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Disabling virus scanners is something malware tries to do, right?

But Super-Anti-Spyware says I am clean, NOD says (said) I am clean, Malware Bytes says the same, as does Norton NPE, and Kaspersky running off a boot USB. They all say 100% clean, so presumably I am as safe as I can be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.