Virus scam

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by elcid123, Feb 9, 2015.

1. elcid123

elcid123 Registered Member

I received one of these virus scam telephone calls and what concerned me was the that the man that rang me was able to give me the name of my new computer and my email address as I answered my phone? He did not get anywhere near my computer. The other very strange thing was he said you have Norton Security which I did on an older computer but removed it months ago and the computer I am using now and I've only had it for just over a month is not linked to the old computer.

My question is how could they get this information?

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Norton is on e of the most popular ÁV products so that could be a educated guess.
    Otherwise some spyware is on you pc reporting back maybe?

3. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

You said its a new computer. I think maybe the shop where you bought it from shared the information? It does not have to be their policy, just an employee can get that information and leak. Norton is probably an educated guess too.

4. 142395

142395 Guest

Actually unless you disabled Norton's plugins, website can tell a visitor is using Norton by script.

5. elcid123

elcid123 Registered Member

Thank you for the help, It is interesting that subhrobhandari thinks it could be a leak from the shop I bought this new computer it was custom made by a man (he's a one man band) that since then I have had trouble with him other issues with such as the base unit will not boot up from standby he blames Microsoft. The other Possibilities of course can't be ruled out although I scan my computer daily with superatnyspyware scanner. spybot s+ d malwarebytes hitman pro.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.