Virus Problems

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kym McGain, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kym McGain

Kym McGain Guest

Hi,
    My comp[uter still has this unknown virus, I have tried multiple virus scan engines, ive applied all the windows patches i can find.
    I'm still wondering if anyone else has the same virus as me, boot sector that is interfering with my graphics, survived a format(probably hiding in my video card memory), it is just so annoying.
    I'm finding it hard to believe that Nod still hasn't been able to diagnose and fix the problem.
    I am verry dissapointed.

2. SaracenBlade

SaracenBlade Guest

Video RAM is volatile and can't store a virus through a re-boot, if such a virus exists. Unless you have a new virus none of the AV companies has seen yet., look for a video card problem.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Install a Firewall. Such as the free for personal use ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com

Install SpyBot Search and Destroy. This is free for personal use and available from http://beam.to/spybotsd I have had many clients come in with computer problems relating to programs downloaded/ing in the background (without the client’s knowledge). One computer had slowed to the point it was highly noticeable.

Do NOT share the main “C” drive of ANY computer on a network. Prior to the Opaserv worm, it was (and no doubt will continue to be) standard networking practice, by the great majority of technicians world-over to share each computers main “C” drive. With the advent of Opaserv this practice must be altered to address a security flaw found within Windows.

Share ONLY a necessary folder(s) within your “C” drive for networking.

Make sure you have “Windows” FULLY UP TO DATE. While on the Internet, Click on Internet Explorer, Click on Tools, Click on Windows Update. This will take you to the Microsoft Windows Update page where you need to follow the on screen prompts, starting with “Scan for updates”. Install ALL “Critical Updates” and “Service Packs”.

Make sure your Virus Protection is FULLY UP TO DATE. While on the internet, PRESS “Update Now” from within the control panel.

Make sure you run a weekly scan of your system with Nod32.

With ALL software, and especially Windows, make sure it is ALWAYS KEPT FULLY UP TO DATE.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

4. SaracenBlade

SaracenBlade Guest

Good advice. Also, have a look at Javacool's collection of programs. I think Outpost (free and pro) are better than ZoneAlarm, but that's just my opinion.

5. Kym McGain

Kym McGain Guest

Hi
    thanks for your suggestions, but i have always run the Zonealarm firewall, and and I cant find anything in the registry or winin files or anything, this virus is extremely smart, it goes very deep into the system.
    When i boot it normally lets me in the first time fine, but if I have to restart the it will ust freeze and go to odd graphic screens when i try to get into windows again. And i have to leave the computer off for about half an hour before it will start succesfuly again.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What makes you think you have a virus?

When you run a scan with Nod, what are the results?

Please post a screen shot and copy the log of the scan results.

The other way to tackle this problem is to slave your hard drive off a clean, virus free system running Nod32 V2.0 and then scan it with the clean system. A very simple and effective way of removing persistant viruses.

Cheers :D

7. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

That may be a heat problem? Have you checked your CPU fan and other cooling fans?

8. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

If that's the symptom, then what you might want to try cleaning out your case interior, then leave the cover OFF of the case and point an $8 box fan from Wal-Mart at the guts. It really sounds as if you have a heat problem. Also, if you're overclocking your system, drop everything down to stock speeds and try again.

Jack

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Agreed - it's very unlikely this problem is due to a virus. All points to a heath problem indeed.

regards.

paul

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Good advice.

And from what you're saying, you might look first at the case exhaust fans, because what you're describing sounds like a gradual heat buildup inside the case.

Also make sure that any intake vents/fans are operating and not blocked, the computer isn't sitting on carpeting, etc. or enclosed without adequate ventilation--say in a computer desk w/the little "cabinet" for the case. Those are notorious for causing heat probs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.