Virus in subtitle

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by david banner, Jun 16, 2019.

1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

https://www.maketecheasier.com/subtitles-malware-how-to-avoid-it/

I found the above link. I still don't uderstand how text file could have a virus. What does install the subtitle file into the media player mean? I usually have film.mp4 and film.srt in the same folder and play with vlc. How is that installing the subtitle into the media player?

The link is two years old.My scans are always clear

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Afaik, no installing is done, that's just bad terminology. It looks like they mean it's an exploit. If an software needs to parse untrusted content, whether this is a website, pdf file, media file or simple text file attackers can try to make the untrusted content very unusual, which might crash the software because it doesn't understand it. Combine it with a vulnerability in the software and they can execute code on your system. This is a lot easier with complex content like a PDF file, than with a simple text file, however as stated in the article, this very fact makes it also interesting for an attack as nobody suspects it.

3. david banner

But wouldn't you see the virus code if you opened the srt file? I usually open it when i download it to make sure there are no ads. sometimes there is an ad at the start and in the middle of the movie. Would opening it outside of vlc,extracting from thezip, constitute parsing it or running it?

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Afaik it is usually just exploit code, the virus is downloaded later. You should be able to see it yes. However, even when opening it with notepad, it would need to parse. But the exploit code needs to target something, for example a specific media player, or maybe some 3rd party library used by multiple media players. That would make it safe to open with notepad. Note that it is possible to exploit even a simple application such as notepad:
    https://www.securityweek.com/google-researcher-finds-code-execution-vulnerability-notepad

5. david banner

what exactly does parse mean?

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I'm not a programmer, so maybe I'm not using the word correctly but I mean that it needs to process data.

7. david banner

ok thanks for that link. i do not understand how he opens a shell in notepad or his screenshot. i have 'open' but not 'open with' in the system 32 folder where notepad is

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

It's because he exploited a vulnerability in notepad that allows him to launch other processes, he used cmd as an example because cmd allows an attacker to do all kinds of stuff.

9. david banner

https://www.technadu.com/microsoft-notepad-vulnerability-remote-shell-access/69357/ says it is unlikely to work "one would have to sit on the target computer and launch the text editing application, so there can’t really be a successful method of remote exploitation."

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Not much can be said about it without the details being released, so we'll have to wait. The article writer also quotes others that exploit migitations are hard to bypass, but Ormandy already said he bypassed them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.