Virus Help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mbettik, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbettik

mbettik Registered Member

Hello everyone.

I've got a problem. I am running Windows XP and McAfee Virus Scan 7.1.6.0

I am pretty sure I have a virus or a trojan because I attempt to open various programs and they do not work. The list of non-functioning applications so far are as follows:

Word
    Excel
    Power-Point
    Internet Explorer
    McAfee Virus Scan
    McAfee Instant Updater

When I try to run these programs a box pops up saying that the program encountered a program and needs to close. It gives me the option of sending an error report. All of the above programs give the same box when attempting to run them.

I uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee and it still is giving the same message.

I downloaded the free Bit Defender Virus Scan and it didn't detect anything.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

edit > I also posted this in the Trojans & Backdoors forum. It is the same post and same question, I just didn't know where to put it.

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Try this:

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)

2. Download MicroWorld AntiVirus Toolkit Utility

Download:
    ftp://ftp.microworldsystems.com/download/tools/mwav.exe

DO NOT EXECUTE - UNPACK TO IT'S OWN FOLDER WITH WINZIP OR OTHER ZIP PROGRAM. REPLACE THE mwavscan.com FILE WITH THE OLD ONE BELOW. NOW YOU CAN CLEAN INFECTED FILES, NOT JUST SCAN FOR THEM.

Download:
    Old mwavscan.com file
    http://sr2.mytempdir.com/41598

3. Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode

4. Run mwavscan.com and select clean.

I'M NOT AN EXPERT - I DON'T EVEN PLAY ONE ON TELEVISION BUT THIS SHOULD HELP. IF THE ABOVE DOESN'T WORK - TRY THE FOLLOWING:

Get HijackThis!
    http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/~merijn/

For anyone experiencing general browser hijacking, or having any type of suspected spyware infection, we recommend going to another security forum that provides an analysis and cleaning service.

We don't maintain a comprehensive site list ourselves, but three sites we've often recommended in many replies here are: SpywareInfo, CastleCops and Net-Integration, though certainly there are many other qualified sites we could include.

3. mbettik

Thank you so much for responding quickly!

I don't want to sound extremely stupid, but how do I complete the following step:

"DO NOT EXECUTE - UNPACK TO IT'S OWN FOLDER WITH WINZIP OR OTHER ZIP PROGRAM. REPLACE THE mwavscan.com FILE WITH THE OLD ONE BELOW. NOW YOU CAN CLEAN INFECTED FILES, NOT JUST SCAN FOR THEM."

When I double click on the mwav.exe file it does not give me the option of unpacking it. Right-clicking on the file doesn't give me the option of unpacking.

Sorry for all the trouble

4. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Do you use WinZip or other zip program? If you do, right-click on the file and choose "unzip to folder" or something similar. If not:

Execute mwav.exe. It will unzip to your Temp folder and start. My Temp folder in Windows XP is here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp
    (If you can't find it go to My Computer, select Tools, select Folder Options, select View and choose Show Hidden Files and Folders.)

Exit the MicroWorld AntiVirus Toolkit Utility.
    Copy the file you downloaded (mwavscan.com) into the TEMP folder. It will ask you to overwrite the other one... choose YES.
    Now run the program. (mwavscan.com)

5. mbettik

Ok, thanks!

I did that and overwrote and ran the mwavscan.com.

I clicked on "Scan and Clean" to start the program.

It scanned my computer and found a few bugs. The buttons I could click after it finished were: "OK", "Buy e-scan", "View Log", and "Scan Again."

I clicked "OK." It didn't ask me if I wanted to delte the virus/adware files, so by clicking "OK" did I delete the bugs?

Thanks again for your help!

6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

It will automatically delete viruses and trojans which are the worst nasties.
    You will have to manually delete adware and spyware.
    You can scan again and decide what must go. When you are finished, you can clean out your Temp folder to get rid of MicroWorld AntiVirus Toolkit Utility. It does not install itself like most programs.

Make sure your Windows is up to date, this can help prevent some infections. For more spyware protection, try Adaware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster.

Let me know how you made out. Do the programs that didn't work now work? If not try HijackThis! and send a log to the REAL experts. : )
    http://castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.html
    I'm just an amateur trying to help - these guys know their stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.