Virus From Kazaa

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by AnthonyG, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

I wasnt sure where to post this. But last week i was downloading a program from kazaa, and everything went fine with the download. and the file was downloaded to my hard drive. To which i then checked the file with my virus scanner.

But then when i clicked on the program to install it, my mcafee enterprise 8 went crazy. It said the the program was a virus.

This threw me back a bit as there were no problems when the program was downloaded (as usually what happens is during the download my mcafee enterprise spots a virus and prevents the download from taking place)

But this did not happen in this case. Is there anyway i can check a file fully after i have downloaded it to make sure it is in no way malicious. And should i worry about other programs i have installed from kazaa, (i use trojan hunter, and mcafee enterprise, will this stop anything bad from occuring).

Thanks

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Anthony.

Yes, you can do an upload to Jotti's Online Malware Scan.

It has 10 AV's that will scan your file for you [I don't know if there is a limit to file size though], have not checked.

http://virusscan.jotti.dhs.org/

However, I just went to check just now, and the site is down "For maintenance and to come back in a few minutes"..

I shall edit this post if it comes back online and I can find out what file size limits, if any, are applicable.

Cheers, TAS

edit: Site back online, cannot see any file size restrictions.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  3. sard

sard Registered Member

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

You use kazaa? No wonder you get hit by a virus.
    Don't you know its not good to use P2P file-sharing programs like kazaa?
    UNINSTALL kazaa or any other P2P file-sharing program from your computer if you don't want to be hit once more.

5. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I second that, a lot of my friends are on kazza or should I say were on kazza, but they all had nothing but bad experiences and were infected a few times.
    I personally would not take the risk with my system, as It is to precious to me and cost to much as well .

THE MUL

6. sard

sard Registered Member

That’s overreacting. Just stop downloading illegal cracked software from unknown sources. Using Bittorent with reputable sites to download game demos etc is perfectly safe.

7. smiddy

smiddy Registered Member

lol i have a dedicated pentium 100 for downloading programs over p2p software so if it gets infected i can just format it or whatever and i can test the files on that pc first it only cost me a whole 5 bucks and i dont care if it gets infected :D

8. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Agree completely with Sard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.