Virus And Other Infections

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kas, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

MALWARE INFECTIONS PICKED UP BY COMODO IS

This post is not for the faint hearted, it is for the real professors of system wizardry.

For the past 10 days, Comodo IS has been picking up a Malware infection and stuffing it into Quarantine.
    Why it suddenly happened 10 days ago and never before is part of the wonderland of Internet surfing. How dull it would be without this kind of unwanted attention.

I have Windows XP Home, IE7 and Outlook Express 6. Everything is on auto-update and I do daily scans for infections by each system I have watching over my PC.
    I have Spywareblaster, Comodo IS, AVG, Spybot and Spyware Terminator, which apart from Fort Knox, should be nice and secure.

This infiltration through my defences is only picked up by Comodo IS. Now ALL the other cops I have on duty are considered globally as highly efficient systems. Surely they cannot be sleeping on duty ?

When Comodo stuck these trespassers in quarantine, I did a DEFRAGGLER scan. The files listed was a long list and on hitting defrag, the system stuck at 3%. I had to stop it. I did notice 2-4 files listed that previously had been quarantined by Comodo.
    So I went to Comodo quarantine and cleared the infections from the system permanently as they say.
    Back on DEFRAGGLER, the number of files listed had dropped to only about 6 !! It defragged OK.

QUESTION
    Why is Comodo picking up this Malware infection when all the other first class security systems do not ?
    Is it a false positive ? Why has this bogey man decided to like me only 10 days ago, when I`ve been tapping the keys for over 4 years ? Is it my after-shave ? If so I will change it.
    I only visit apparent clean sites, using the AVG and Crawler Website guides all the time.

I am hoping that Wilders Wizards will reveal to me the answer and solution to this love affair between this affectionate Malware love-bird and myself.
    I am too old for this kind of affection - the mind is willing but the body is weak.

Many thanks to you all
    KAS

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Well apart from D+ the rest of the cops you got running arent that great imo, could be an fp yer so have it examined

3. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

More info on the files found could help determine if those are FPs..

Upload them to www.virustotal.com and post the link..
    And where did you get the files from?

As for increased findings, COMODO has in the last couple of days added several hundreds of thousands new definitions.. But FPs is still a issue..

o_O :)

4. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Thank you for your quick response, but could you please elucidate in more descriptive English. I cannot understand your comments.
    KAS
    o_O

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

If you google the name of the file a wealth of information should be at hand.;)

6. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Spyware Terminator used to be labeled as a 'rogue'.

I suggest you ditch this program, and look for other anti-spyware with a more reputable name.

And don't go to Crawler Website guides.
    Crawler is one of those nasties.

7. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Thanks to everybody - very constructive.
    Next time Comodo finds these affectionate files, I will post them.

? I have had no trouble with the Crawler toolbar or their Spyware Terminator which has picked up several intrusions.

Are you really saying to ditch it ? For what reason ?
    KAS
    :doubt:

8. CookieCrumbler

CookieCrumbler Registered Member

Well I have used spyware terminator before and it seemed to make my computer insanely slow, but its probably just me.

9. GES/POR

ST is legit for some time now, its populair because it does detect nasties at no cost - no need to ditch it but paid apps are better

10. GES/POR

D+ = Comodo Defense Plus (HIPS)
    imo= in my opinion(subjective mostly :D )
    fp= false positive (non malicious file mistaken as malicious)

I hope it clears up my post

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D provide no resident protection (I don't count teatimer). Spyware Terminator's ability to detect malware is OK, but not great in my experience and I would say the same about AVG (and by the way, are you running the latest free version 8.5?). I suggest you download and do full scans with MBAM (Malware Bytes Anti-Malware) and SuperAntiSpyware (make sure you fully update them first). They will catch what's left or confirm your system is clean. Let us know what happens!

12. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

If so incorrectly.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote.
    :D

14. kalisun

kalisun Registered Member

those programs were good back in the day..but with the new type of malware out there, I would recommend getting a new security suite. I would recommend this replacement..

AVG -- AVAST Free (active protection) better protection IMHO..
    Spybot S&D -- MalwareBytes Free (On Demand) scan daily/weekly
    Spyware Terminator -- SuperAntispyware Free (On Demand) scan daily/weekly
    Comodo --- Keep
    Spywareblaster - keep

add to your security:
    Threatfire free
    CCleaner

If you need a resident protection maybe something like
    Avorax Shield..

Thanks!

15. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Hi Victek,
    I did a FULL scan with Malwarebytes and all it came up with is 2 Home Page highjack bugs, which I killed off.
    I just feel that the love affair between the creepy-crawlies and me is something personal between Comodo and my beautiful PC.
    Next time Comodo comes up with these infiltrators, I will post them for all to see.
    No need to cast bad news on freebies. They all do a fine job, are used by millions and the ones I mentioned are world renown for reliability and trust.
    KAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.