virtualization with Windows Vista and PcLinuxOs

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Shankle, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I am a Windows user. I tried dual booting but Grub made it such a pain that it will never happen again.
    However I fell in love with the Solitaire Games in PclinuxOs.

What I would like to do is use Pclinuxos in a virtual situation.
    Virtual box 4, Vmware, xen, kvm. Which one would do this?? Or is there a better one??
    Is this possible? How would I go about installing PcLinuxos??
    Would installing it on an external HD (usb) work??

It's just dangerous and not worth the trouble to dualboot. IMHO.
    Grub caused me to have to reinstall my entire software. Scary

2. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

Virtual Box - it has pretty detailed documentation.

IIRC, just set the size of your virtual disk, mount the cd in the tray (or .iso image stored locally) and install as normal.

What happened with grub?

3. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Yesterday I installed a bunch of distros in Virtualbox 4 including PCLinuxOS 64bit KDE version. No problem but I have not spend much time with it yet. Remember to always install Guest Additions. How to do that differ and result is not always that every desktop effect is available. Official documentation blows but check up on Virtualbox forum and here PCLinuxOS forum where they have a whole section on "Virtual" stuff. Or Google, http://gamblis.com/2010/06/17/how-to-install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-pclinuxos-2010/ Guest Additions is essential part of why Virtualbox is good alternative so don't skip that. Good documentation provided by users might be true but it is scattered! Not difficult though. Definitely start with Virtualbox own forum. Searching for PCLinuxOS is probably more than enough.

When you update Virtualbox you must also update Guest Additions, via included iso file. You just attach it to a drive and then do the sudo stuff or in some distros like Ubuntu simply click "install guest additions" you see that under "Devices" menu in Virtualbox.

Also add 128 or at least 64mb to video card in settings - or 3D might not work what ever you do (possible 128mb is necessary, don't remember). There are other requirements but should be a problem with newer computer. VT-X/AMD-V or something using the word "virtualization" in your bios should be enabled. I guess many bios have it disabled.

To install PCLinuxOS I think you should just start up chosing "LiveCD" - at the desktop find startmenu and go more applications, configuration and there should be an entry saying "Install PCLinuxOS". How I did it anyway.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.