virtualization software

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by hyatt69, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

is there any program that you have the option of saving the changes after a reboot instead of all changes lost?i dont think returnil free has this?

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

As far as i know, Returnil Premium and Shadow Defender can both commit changes on the hard disk, so that they will stay after the reboot. Both are paid though.

3. hyatt69

ok thanks thought maybe there might be a freebie out there.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I hope in near future something come around that make it possible,with current techn. its not possible,except for full virt. app. like VMWare,Virt.Box and the like.

I get it that OP meant to keep changes in a virt. environment after reboot....nice with software installs that require a reboot,only i can think of are the full virt. environments.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  5. Matern

Matern Registered Member

6. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Shadow Defender doesn't allow installed programs that requires a re-boot to carry over after re-boot as far as I understand it, it just allows you to "commit" files and/or folders which will carry over onto the "real" drive after re-boot.

Shadow Defender runs on Windows 2000, Returnil doesn't.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Don't forget comodo diskshield. It free and can do what you want. Its still in beta but has worked fine on my system.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

ShadowUser from Storagecraft can do a reboot for programs that require it in what they call 'persistent mode'. I do have the program on my XP laptop, and I have been recommending it as it is really set it and forget it.

I don't recommend it anymore for the following reasons: It hasn't been updated for Vista, it is still fairly expensive (69 $), and most importantly it seems to have bugs related to NEW hardware (core 2 + CPUs) which Storagecraft should really address as it is still on sale.

A real pity as this was the original and the most complete of all virtualizers, probably killed by piracy.

9. hyatt69

i tried comodo disk shield but get bsod but thats what i was lookin for to be able to save after a reboot because almost all software requires a reboot.thanks Matern for the steadystate link trying it out and does what i was lookin for,ill use it until comodo fixes there program.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Another option you can try is AYRECOVERY which is currently offering it free for a year. It allows you to save or revert changes even after multiple reboots.
    Check it out at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225692

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.