Virtualization security - the end for security updates?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by steven.edw, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

They both sound like reasonable solutions to me, just different.
    With application virtualization is there a "side door" that things like scripting, plugins, or video codecs could get through?

2. steven.edw

steven.edw Registered Member

as far as I read and understand in bufferzone publisher website (trustware.com) there is no meaning for such threats as anything running in bufferzone 'thinks' it is running in the 'real' pc where it actually runs on a 'dummy' environment that only exactly 'looks' like the 'real' - so if there is a virus or so, it attacks 'dummy' targets, and this whole thing is probably running at the kernel level.

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Sounds interesting and worth looking into. Thanks.

4. steven.edw

Correction - they fixed the 'Confidential' folder with their new version, they simply automatically protect 'My Documents' without naming it as 'Confidential'.

5. steven.edw

Already posted that, however, I would like to tell you that I found out in castlecops.com that they run this beta program and you can get their new pro version 2.10 free of charge for beta testers.

http://www.castlecops.com/print-1-164865.html

The link to their beta program was broken so I contacted their support (support@trustware.com), provided my details and got the full version for free...

6. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I may be wrong (I haven't had GesWall installed in a while) but I'm sure you can create or copy and adapt the existing rule to make any folder confidential - that way the folder can be called whatever it was named before.

I'm planning to give the latest version of GesWall a try so I'll see if I'm talking cr*p or not :D

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I really feel Bufferzone is a top notch program and just wish the free version was more flexible, but running various processes, programs, etc can still be done. And it has an advantage over 'ShadowSurfer/ShadowUser' because no reboots are required.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

my bro would like to have a look at this

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes, but some sandboxes/virtualisation programs use only acces resitiction like GeSWall and DefenseWall. Some also have file system virtualisation (SandBoxie and BufferZone). All these programs allow you to use 1 OS.

Only the true OS virtualisation programs (VM Ware) require another OS in the virtualised environment

10. steven.edw

the problem with true OS virtualization is that it takes a lot of your CPU and it can't communicate with your 'real' OS

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I only tried VM and the slow down was so bad I went back to sandboxes using no OS or File virtualisation.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, the solution is very simple. U can change the folder name as u like and then change the name in GesWall rules as well. I tried and it works very well. No isolated( untrusted) application can access this folder. Nice

13. steven.edw

in bufferzone they use the 'confidential' in 'My documents' folder - they added a 'lock' icon to it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.