Virtualization security and windows updates

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by lodore, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

HI, i was wondering if you use internet explorer in the Virtualization all the time will it let you install windows updates or will it stop those as well?

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

If you run Internet Explorer in a virtual environment, how are you going to install Windows Updates?

cs

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well I meant was if i run internet explorer in say bufferzone then how do i install windows updates?

lodore

4. nadirah

Simple. You cannot install windows updates if you run internet explorer in bufferzone or any other virtualization product.
    If you don't believe me, try to install it in bufferzone and see what happens.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

with greenborder you can choose IE or Firefox or both. I choose Firefox so all updates are not effected. Works like a charm.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well some would say its better to use greenboader with ie since it has more security holes than firefox.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you can choose both. I am finding this to be a really interesting product. Also will protect your email to.

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

The new p2p free version requires that you manually add processes to the bufferzone so when updating windows, just leave it out of the 'Zone'. And if you desire to 'Clean' the Bufferzone, make sure you have moved all programs except the p2p program you have chosen 'Out' of the Zone before cleaning.

9. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

To install updates just run it outside of the virtulization to install them. It's pretty simple. This way no risk of errors or issues.

10. nadirah

I fully agree with your statement.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I never tried it but it can be risky as registry enteries by updates will not be implemented.

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

What I know of DefenseWall, when it is not in the untrusted list, it is allowed to change entries. I have checked with GeSWall also. I known I have checked in of GeSWall, but can not recall whether I added an allow entry in the configuration file (as fas as I can remember GeSWall has this covered in the out of the box configurations settings). I know my son always disables BufferZone protection before updating. I will ask him whether this is based on experience of just a precaution.

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.