Virtualization Manager questions

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by dekk, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dekk

dekk Registered Member

Stupid novice hereo_O .

Is there a manual?

1-I made my Virtual Image w/ Virtualization Manager.

Do I save it on CD or DVD and use Virtual Box to open it?

2- Can I still use Paragon Virtualization Manager 2009 that I downladed from GAOTD and saved on Virtual Image?

3- Safely Evaluate New Software:

How does that work in practice? Step by step explanation?

-And same w/

4-Virtualization for Backup Purposes
    Creating a virtual clone of your physical system and saving it to the network is a good
    alternative to traditional disk imaging.

2. jazzman55

jazzman55 Registered Member

how about some help for us newbies?

I am also stumped

I installed Virtual Box and Paragon Virtualization Manager

ran wizard to copy my system OS (P2V copy)

when finished can see vdi image on C( I think thats Virtual Box )

but I cant connect to virtual disc,as do know where it is, o_O

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

It's the weekend. The Paragon staff are off. The support they give here is free - they do a great job.

Virtualbox:

From the Virtualbox main window , select File>Virtual Disk Manager

import existing VDI or VMDK files from your hard drive into VirtualBox using the "Add" button

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html#vdis

It is all in the Virtualbox manual - you should already have it. If not, d/l a PDF version, here:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.0.8/UserManual.pdf

Hope it helps

4. mikiem

mikiem Registered Member

There are 2 help files installed with the program & a PDF called the Reviewers Guide here: [http://www.paragon-software.com/business/vm/download.html].

1st off however, you need to learn about virtual machines / PCs & the software you choose to use to implement them. Paragon's Virtualization Mgr. *HELPS* you create virtual images of your disks with Windows & other software you've installed. You decide which virtual machine / PC hosting software is for you, & there are several, & then learn how / why / even when to use it. Research (Google), make sure what software you want to use, & if needed start over or convert the virtual disk you made (& that's all you made).

That said, in win7 the Virtual PC software Microsoft designed for it might be the easiest to use, & has the most integration with win 7. There are earlier versions available free from Microsoft that are all fairly easy to use in versions of Windows prior to 7. VMWare has several versions that work very well, & there's a *Lot* of info available, but it has a fairly big learning curve, only a couple of versions are free, & it's not fully updated for win7 yet. Both Microsoft & VMWare have free server versions for running virtual machines outside of rather than inside a running copy of Windows. VirtualBox is good, but maybe hardest to learn & setup, & it doesn't work in every situation.

To re-install Virtualization Mgr keep your registration info & the install program you got after running the GOTD setup.exe file. To use it for backup, decide what Virtual Machine software you want to use, learn something about it [what you create with Virtualization Mgr is worthless if you can't use it in your VM hosting software], & create (& preferably test) a virtual disk from your Windows install you want to preserve or backup. If your PC/laptop dies [& hopefully it never will], you need to have/install that virtual machine host software on another PC/laptop, then start up a virtual PC based on that virtual disc you created, and you can run everything much like you were using the original (now non-working) PC. Or you can use the Virtualization Mgr to migrate your virtual disk to a hard drive in another PC, most importantly adjusting the Windows install it contains to work with your new hardware.

5. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Hey guys if you have created a virtual image of your OS with Paragon VM be sure you chose to make it a Virtual Box Image. Once the Image is created you need to run the P2V Adjust to make the virtual Image you created bootable in a virtual machine. With this done open Virtual Box, above the list area on the left select new which will lead you through a wizard to setup your virtual machine. When the wizard starts select the OS your going to run in Virtual Box and then it will ask you if you want to create a new virtual hard disk or use an existing one. You need to choose to use an existing Virtual Disk Image and then use the browse icon to locate the VDI that you created with Paragon Virtualization. From their on the wizard is pretty straight forward but be sure to read up on Virtual Box so you don't run into any snags along the way. Hope this is what you were looking for. Good Luck!!

6. jazzman55

I'm lost here

I tried your suggestion,but Paragon VM did not find my current XP OS?

I installed both Virtual Box,then Vmware, created a new virtual copy of my present OS in both,but when ask Paragon VM to connect to virtual disk,nothing happens

7. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I believe that the only thing that does is to list the VDI below the rest of your HD or partitions so you can work on it or resize etc. The steps I listed in my last post is to get you booted up into the replica Image of your XP OS in Virtual Box.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

In the main window, click Connect to Virtual Disk.

A new window opens. Select All virtual disks in the "Files type" box - then use the drop down at the top to select the partition you saved the vdisk on - browse to it, highlight it, click Connect.

9. jazzman55

I installed both Virtual Box,then Vmware, created a new virtual copy of my present OS in both,but when ask Paragon VM to connect to virtual disk -nada

I am able start my present OS in Virtual Box,but it demands activation( due to hardware changes)

not able start my present OS in Vmware,

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.