VirtualBox versus VMware and Parallels

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by aigle, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Having no knowledge and experience of networking, I was not able to know from ur previous posting and was afraid may be it is something like calling home etc.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi aigle,
    Yes, I understand your concern. Whenever I set up for software like this, I normally set rules to allow the software only limited internet access (set rules to allow only a few known sites) with rules to block and log any other connection attempts (just to check,.... and everything is logged with external gateway anyway), so if I see any unauthorised comms, I will let you know.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Stem, thanks for the clarifications.
    Indeed, what you offer is viable, I might consider it... But you know me - tweaking = Linux...
    Mrk

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Confirmed. You can only delete a snapshot, which takes you back to a previous state.

I have found that you can create a "Clone" [vboxmanage clonevdi] which I have just done. So that is good news. I also like the ability to create a second (and 3rd) VM HD to attach to the VM, so backups(img) can be made and saved to the slave HD.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am using VMware Workstation. It has the multiple snapshot capability very much like Rollback, although you can do things, none of the other Rollback type programs will handle, like totally changing or messing up the harddrive, and changing snapshot, fixes it like nothing happened.

As to security, I treat it like any other machine, Firewall, Av, etc.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.
    So where is the colne option?

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You create a clone on the command line. It's explained in the user manual.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

A few more impressions:

Works well on XP and Ubuntu, provided NAT is successful :)
    All in all, pretty stable and mature. Did not have any errors with the software.
    Looks quite fine. All that remains to complete a cycle is to see whether creating a host interface and bridging it will work...

Mrk

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, I don,t know Command line. ATM I just copy the virtual drive via explorer.

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi aigle,
    This will not work, as when the new "clone" is created a UUID is also created/needed, if not, an error will show when importing into the "Vitual disk manager".

I will run through how I cloned my VM.

First and important is that the location of the VM`s and VDI files are setup correctly. If you have installed to the default directories when creating the VM then all will be O.K., if you changed these locations then you need to enter these in: Virtualbox ~"file ~Global settings".

You then need to open the windows "command window" (start menu ~Run ~CMD)
    (NOTE:- for this example, the VM I want to clone is "VM01", and the clone(copy) will be "VM02")

Directory: "Innotek virtualbox" (if installed to defaults, then at the command prompt type: cd\program files\innotek virtualbox)
    Then at the command prompt type vboxmanage clonevdi VM01.vdi VM02.vdi

This will then clone(copy) the VM (original "VM01" -->> Clone "VM02") and save it in the same location as VM01.

You then need to add the new VM to the disk manager: Open Virtualbox ~"File ~Virtual disk manager" and use the "Add" button to add the new VM.

You then start the process of creating a new VM: open Virtualbox ~"New" follow the creation of this as you would normally, but when you get to the popup for "Virtual Hard Disk" you select "Existing" and select the clone VM you created.

Hope this helps.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK quick question, are VirtualBox and Parallels any better than VMWare Workstation? Are they faster? Also, can I install them both even when VMWare is already on my system? TIA ;)

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think WilbertNL said it best when he said VMware Workstation is the cadillac. If you already have the full workstation I'd forget it.

Pete

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Stem, thanks for the spoon feeding, that,s realy i needed. I will try this sure.
    BTW, before I just copied the virtual HD, then created a new VM and added this copied HD to this VM and that worked.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Rasheed187,
    I have found VirtualBox to run very stable, there is a need to dig deep into the user guide to find the options available, and a need to be able to "read between the lines" on some explanations, but I do quite like this.

Parallels I have found on my system/setup to be a little unstable at times, I have had a few "hangs" within the VM`s, so I did not test this out for very long.

Now if the above 2 are as good as VMware, well this would really be down to the user. For example Virtualbox will do what I want/need from a VM program, so why pay for VMware when Vitualbox is available for free? (although I do already have a license for VMware).

I have not made any comparrison tests, but as example, VirtualBox does not require the installation of an "Addon" to make the screen/mouse work correctly (Like VMware)

I have not attempted this, but I do not see a problem simply from the installation, but I would not run 2 VM programs (example VirtualBox+VMware) at the same time.

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Interesting, I only attempted the Copy as you mentioned after your post, and VirtualBox complained that the UUID was already in use. I will have another play.

16. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

I can highly recommend Parallels. However, i'm running it on a Mac so i don't know about the Win32 native version. But as far as i can tell i'm very happy with it. USB 2.0 is working (now) after the last update and i never had any stability problems. (using it almost 12 hours each day) Win XP and Vista runs fine on my Mac. The funny thing is it even runs faster than on my native windows work desktop. That should answer the speed question of Parallels. It is able to use several CPU's together. For example i spend one CPU in my Mac for Parallels the other one i use for OSX.

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi aigle, could you explain what you did. As when adding a drive(vdi) it needs to go through the "Virtual Disk Manager", and as I mentioned, when I attempt this I get an error.

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Inspector Clouseau,
    I did have problem with system BSOD with earlier versions of Parallels, the later versions do install, but as mentioned I have hangs within the VM`s. Maybe a conflict with one of my drivers?

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry stem u are right. I got a bit of confusion. Same vdi can,t be used twice. Actually one of my VM was corrupted today so I deleted it. I had backup of it vdi made many days back, so I used that vdi to reconstruct the VM. But sure if u don,t delete the current VM u obviously can,t use its copied vdi in a new VM.

BTW I have another Q. It seems there is no dial up modem suport in VMs created by VB. Am I right? If so what about VMware, does it supports modem?

Thanks

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

They have a mac version in work, in alpha stage and will go in beta soon.

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have not looked for this, and cannot test as I do not have a dial up.

It should still not be a problem, as you can set up host interfaces, and make these into a VM LAN, and then use a local proxy as pass through to your firewall for the Dial up. It may sound complicated, but it isn`t if you are using XP. If you are using W2k, then it can be a problem, as you would need to route these connections.
    Let me know your OS, and I will check on the setup you need.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have XP home.

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi aigle,
    After re-reading the thread I realise that I have misunderstood your question. I though you where having problems connecting from the VM out through your Host., But if I understand correctly now, you are trying to connect directly out from the VM (using dialup) before first connecting out with the Host. I am not sure if this can be done. I cannot setup to check this (I have no dialup connection).

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, I mean this exactly.
    Anyway no problems, I will see it later.
    Thanks.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I finally settled on VB. It,s ubuntu runing on VB.
    First things`I installed are Opera, Avast AV and FireStarter Firewall( Wilders effect!!). :D
    I am happy that I can use internet on it via dial up( from Host OS).

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.