VirtualBox Mint 7 - Shared folder access

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi,

I've installed Mint in VBox 3.0.8, finally figured out how to install the Guest additions (it sure pays to RTFM- LOL!), set up a shared folder located on the host system, but unfortunately I have no idea how to access that folder from the linux guest o_O Is it not possible to access data on the host O/S from the guest O/S or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

There is two ways to do this.

1. Before starting the guest OS. Go in to Setup for that guest, Shared Folders and Click the Add icon, in point it toward your folder on the host.

2. When it's running. Right click on the Folder icon down in the lower right hand corner of the VirtualBox window. Click the Add icon, then point it toward your folder on the host.

In both cases you will have to mount it (Linux) or map the share to a drive (windows) in the guest before you can use it.

Look under Guest Additions in the VirtualBox for Shared Folders for more details.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Assume you named the shared folder or drive "share." Open a terminal a type the following.
    Code:
    $ mkdir /home/username/share
    $ sudo mount -t vboxsf share /home/username/share

I'm currently researching how to add the share to /etc/fstab. It doesn't work the way I expected it to. I'll post later when I find the answer.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you chris and lewmur! I'll try a bit later when time permits.

5. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I found the correct entry for the fstab file. Add the following line to the file;
    Code:
    share /home/username/share vboxsf default,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000  0  0

Again, this assumes you named the shared drive or folder "share" and used mkdir to create folder to mount it in as /home/username/share.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.