Virtualbox and Gufw Firewall

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by HardTrickySecurity, Sep 21, 2014.

1. HardTrickySecurity

HardTrickySecurity Registered Member

Can I block incoming and outgoing traffic with gufw installed inside my guest and block also at the same time my host incoming and outgoing traffic?

In other words can I block incoming and outgoing traffic in guest and host using only gufw installed inside guest?

So far I can block guest internet traffic but I can not block host internet traffic.

Should I use bridge or nat, what excatly should I use in this scenario.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The firewall in the VM only affects its traffic to VirtualBox. To regulate host traffic, you need a firewall running on the host. With NAT in VirtualBox, VM traffic will also be affected by the host firewall. But with bridging, the VM will bypass the host firewall, and will appear on your physical LAN as a separate machine, with a unique IP from your LAN router. Also, using NAT, the VM will connect to the Internet through a VPN running on the host machine. But in bridge mode, the VM will bypass the VPN and connect directly via LAN.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.