VirtualBox 5.1: Graphics driver update/installation failed

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by summerheat, Jul 18, 2016.

1. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I've been running Windows 7 in a Virtualbox VM for years (the host system is Linux). Some time ago I sucessfully upgraded to Windows 10 which worked flawlessly up to Virtualbox 5.0.22. After updating to 5.0.24 the graphics driver update failed. I didn't have the time to investigate that issue and hoped that VB 5.1 would solve it. But to no avail :'(

Every time I try to install the VB guest additions I get an error message that the graphics driver could not be installed and the basic VGA driver will be used instead. I also tried to completely remove and reinstall the VB stuff in safe mode but this didn't work, either.

In the Windows Device Manager a device "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8+" with a yellow triangle is shown. The device status says: "This device was halted as errors were reported (code 43)."

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Windows 10 stable release build or Insider build?

3. summerheat

It's the stable release.

4. summerheat

I'm not alone with this problem. There is a thread in the Virtualbox forum in which the poster has exactly the same problem and, interestingly, the same host system (Fedora 24). Although the latter shouldn't matter here, IMHO. I think it's a guest system problem.

EDIT: Btw., VirtualBox 5.1.2 didn't solve the problem. However, disabling 3D acceleration - as suggested in that thread - improves the situation.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.