VirtualBox 3.1.6

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Az7, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Download links..

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Awesome! Thanks for the info, Az7.

3. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

ThanX:)

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm a little late to virtual box and this thread. I just downloaded virtual box and installed an old copy of Win XP Home I've had for a years.

On my laptop, with 2G RAM and a 1.8 Intel dual core Vista HP, xp home runs very fast. Even the old MSIE 6 is as fast as my srware Iron browser in Vista.

My sole complaint is the smaller screen, which will take some getting used to. I haven't done any reading in help yet, just downloaded and installed XP.

Internet was found without my having to do anything. I haven't tried anything else and probably won't. This will be my online mode from now on, or until I get bored and need to try something else - maybe VMware Player - in a few weeks.

I'm not sure about how safe this is without running any security. It'd be kind of fun to catch a malware, and I haven't tried running virtual box in Returnil, but might give that a stab later.

Love this thing. Easy to set up, even for a dummy like me, without a glance at the help files.

5. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

Install the Guest Additions and you will get full screen, custom display resolutions, mouse pointer integration, and many others....

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

That did it, along with changing the screen resolution from 800x600. Thanks, Spiral123. Now, I've got a full screen and am happy, until I find something else to whine about.

Virtual Box is really a great piece of software, and not at all difficult to figure out. If I can make it work, I guarantee anyone can.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

For your next test, you must setup folder sharing between your Host and VM. You have 90 minutes. Begin :D

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Has drag and drop between host and VM been implemented as yet?

9. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Nope. This was pretty much the only issue I had with Virtualbox when switching from vmplayer but I've gotten over it and am accustomed to just using shared folders.

10. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Shared folder feature is more efficient than drag and drop, especially when working with large files and folders.

11. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Depends on what you consider efficient. While Shared Folders do work quite effectively, sometimes if I'm digging through files on my host just simply 'drag and dropping' is much more efficient than going into vbox and going through the menus to add a shared folder, for one file.

Actually, I just had a realization for a simple and effective way to implement drag and drop (at least from Host to Guest). Context sensitive menu addition under "Send To". This would call something like "vboxmanage insertfile guestname/uuid filepath. The guest additions would accept the data stream and create the file on the desktop, or a pre-determined location. The same context could be implemented into the guest (Windows is easiest obviously). Send to Host (Or even another VM), to either Desktop or other pre-determined location. (or even a popup on the guest/host that allows on-the-fly location choice.

12. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Yes, what you say is true. But..

Why shared folders are more efficient : -but not limited to-

- Reduces wasted disk space, & storage space requirements, & put storage space to more productive use, especially when working with multiple guests and/or large files (Storage efficiency).

- Reduces disk I/O operations, by reducing read and write ops. And increasing Disk cache hit rate, especially when working with multiple guests also, Thereby enhancing overall performance. (Disk I/O & Caching efficiency).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.