VirtualBox 2.1.0

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Pedro, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjkzOA

Changelog
    Downloads

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

guest additions now set the resolution automatically.
    still doesnt always remember thou.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Very good release, while I was skeptical about earlier releases this one is a huge step forward!

4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

great!! its the best in low resource VM :)

better than this VmWare

10x

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I have it in a linux desktop, performs very well. This is another step up release:thumb:

6. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

something as simple as drag and drop support is the one thing making me stick with Virtual PC 07.

I know it has the shared folders feature but I mostly use VMs to test software and using shared folders to transfer files from host to guest and vice versa is just not very convienent.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

virtual pc is ok for support for windows support. just dont try installing any other OS with it. i tryed and every linux distro failed to boot.

virtualbox works great with linux distros.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Reimer, if you try the shared folders you'll see it ends up the same thing, minus 5 seconds of your life. :)
    I usually make a shortcut in the desktop and it's that easy.

9. Converter

Converter Registered Member

Reimer - I agree with you. I stay with VPC 07 as well mainly because of drag-and-drop feature. And because it was much easier to setup VPC... it worked immediately. After installing VB nothing worked correctly... no sound, no networking. People criticize VPC because it is Microsoft product. VPC it is free and it works correctly and it does what is designed to do without many problems (I never had any problems with it). I use it for testing programs and it never failed.

VirtualBox, even the latest version, has all kinds of problems. The most common are no sound and no networking. All you have to do is to go on their forums and you'll see that practically everyone has problems with VirtualBox. And you can't find much help over there either.

Don't get me wrong VB 2.1 is a fairly good software. It has a nice set of features but virtual machines are today used mostly for testing of software and networking and as such VPC does its job well. But I guess people are prejudice and not fair when it comes to programs/companies they don't like. What's funny is that all those people use products from those companies which makes them hypocrites especially when they have other choices. I bet if the case was reversed drag-and-drop would be a big problem for them.

lodore - I ran a few linux distros on VPC 07 and had no problems. They all booted and worked correctly. Use them for testing linux programs.

Pedro - If you test one program I guess shared folder is just fine (BTW shared folder feature is present in VPC also). But if you test many programs or you move alot of files between host and guest then it is VERY inconvenient if you can't drag-and-drop between desktops. It's not just 5 seconds we're talking about. Not to mention that there are people on their forums that can't make this feature of VB to work either (even when doing what it is indicated in the manual).

10. Converter

Converter Registered Member

I just read some extra reviews from people that used the latest version of VirtualBox 2.1.0. It's not only not that good but also created many problems with their PCs. Some people lost USB support, some lost sound, and many other things. Something that does NOT happen with MS VirtualPC.

And not having drag-and-drop in VB is apparently a big problem for many people. All those problems prove that since virtual machines are used to exactly prevent problems to your computer from using other software and VirtualBox creates many problems for many people it is NOT a good choice. Maybe in the future but definitely not yet. VirtualBox's code is still very unstable. Something that can be verified by many programmers since its code is open source.

11. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I think it better compared de vmware bloat.:thumb:

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Sorry as i don't remember having problems with VB. I did however have them with VirtualPC..
    And i have tested many programs with it - unless you have some heavy usage that i'm missing, i can't tell - and it really is 5 seconds. It would be nice to have drag and drop so we can get more bugfixes on the horizon (jk), but i don't really miss it.

Seriously, use whatever you prefer, just don't say it Virtualbox is unstable..
    You may have had problems with it, but consider this: i used it in different PCs, in Debian/Ubuntu or XP, and i don't have those issues. Support forums always have bug reports and problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.