Virtual Machines won't connect

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Franklin, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Wonder if Stem one of the experts could please help me with what setting I need to allow my MS Virtual Machines to connect to the net as I have to disable PC Tools FW ver1 as the only way atm.

No warnings to allow anything show up.Not a real prob as I have a hardware firewall but I forget to disable sometimes.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Franklin,
    I have not used the MS VM, I have only used VMware and Virtualbox.

I do not know if the MS VM setup for internet is the same as the VM`s I have used. From your post, you say you can connect from the VM when the firewall is shut down, so I presume you have the VM connected using ICS?

Is there anything in the firewall logs to show any blocked connections/packets when you try to connect from VM?

3. Franklin

The logs don't show anything relating to the VM Stem.

Maybe I should just install the firewall within the VM and disable the original?

Will see how things pan out and thanks for the reply.:)

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I used to have that problem as well, i never really looked into a solution as i no longer use a software firewall, just gss + firewalled router and i have no problems connecting.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I just had a quick look at PC tool firewall with a PC connected on ICS, and the logs where showing blocked inbound UDP (for host DNS server).

Of course that is up to yourself, I can set up a VM to check how PC tool firewall handles this. I am not too keen on using MS VM, I do remember some problems with that. So I will look at "Virtualbox" (the networking should be similar)

Is there any reason why you are using PC tool firewall V1?, V2 does have 2 zones that can be used, one for host, and one for client.

What Host and client OS are you using?

6. Franklin

Host is XP pro SP2.

Clients are several with none being able to connect until I disable the firewall.

Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, Win98SE and two copies of XP pro, one installed from ISO and the other from CD as tests.

PC tools FW version 1 is used as it's just what I need for outbounds as I have a hardware FW and is very light.

Did try ver2 a while back but had some probs so ghosted back to ver1 and am quite happy with it so far.

MS Virtual PC 2007 has only been used for the last several days and seems to be working fine.

I wouldn't worry about it Stem.I thought that there may be an easy or quick fix.If they won't connect I'll just have to remember to disable beforehand.:)

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Franklin,

Well, you have got me curious now, so I will set up anyway.

I will set up later today MS VM to see how PCTF handles it.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Franklin,

I have installed/setup (MS VM) as host/client XPsp2. I can connect out through PCTF(V1) without problem.

Installing with the default installation (except I reduced the Vdisk), I see that MS_VM is bypassing my NIC and making direct connection to the router, and taking an IP from the router DHCP server. (I have not seen this in the other VM`s I have used).

So I need to look at your setup (if you have time?)

Please confirm:-
    You mention an hardware firewall, is this a router? (what is the router IP?)
    What is the IP of the Host?
    After you disable PCTF, what IP is given to the client?

If you prefer not to post the above info, then please PM me this info (if you dont mind) I would just like to see the setup from the point of IP`s (at this tme)

9. Franklin

To report back.After a PM to Stem we managed to deduce that it was a setting within PC Tools FW ver1.

PC tools firewall GUI - Settings - Select Adapter - "WAN Miniport(IP)-PCTools Dri"

At this setting both host and the several client VMs are able able to connect without disabling the firewall.

May help someone in a similar situation.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.