virtual keyboard

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 1 2 3, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1 2 3

1 2 3 Registered Member

using a virtual keyboard to type in sensitive information.
    recommended?

2. markoman

markoman Registered Member

It is good only against hardware keyloggers... Pretty much any software keylogger on your machine would be able to intercept that as well.

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Does Keyscrambler protect against hardware keyloggers?

4. Blue Ring

Blue Ring Registered Member

No, I don't see how it could. Usually a hardware keylogger is connected between the keyboard and your computer, so there is no software that I'm aware of that can't detect a hardware keylogger.

But there are very good virtual keyboards around. Some are so good I am not aware of any keylogger that can log your key strokes while your using it.

Now, if your talking about the Windows on screen keyboard, then yes, just about any software keylogger around can intercept key strokes from that. But it was not designed with security in mind.

Here's a very nice free virtual keyboard that's been talked about on this forum before. I am unaware of any hardware or software based keylogger at this time that can log your key strokes while using it. But don't assume it's completely unbeatable.

http://www.aplin.com.au/?page_id=368

Here I have scanned it at VT:

~Link removed per Policy.~

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  5. Blue Ring

Blue Ring Registered Member

Oops, I meant to say there is no software that I'm aware of that CAN detect a hardware keylogger. Sorry about that.

6. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

If I need to enter some code with 1000% care
    I am thinking about doing it this way.

take 83522 for example .

I would enter
    "123456789123456789 [backspace] [backspace] [backspace] [backspace] ..."
    using my mouse to adjust the input cursor position and remove the extra code :cool:

complicated, hum?
    what would you get from the logger , 12345?:argh:

PS: it is easy to intercept the global message. software keypad is not safer than the real one.

7. markoman

markoman Registered Member

How about if the software keylogger you are trying to fool takes a screenshot every time you click with your mouse? At some point, it will have your code shown and easily understandable.
    Software keyloggers are extremely hard to defend against, so the best you can do is prevent them from getting on your system. Once they are there, it is only a matter of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.