Virtual Hard Drive/s idea ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by CloneRanger, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Could we use this app to create "some type" of enviroment to run etc stuff in ? Or is it just a clever shortcut sort of thing ?

Please remember, i'm not in IT or a geek :D so just wondering ;) If we could :thumb: if not, it's not the end of the world as we know it, well not just yet anyway !

I discovered the homepage www from the link by bgoodman4 :thumb: in here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=283939

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Just from looking at the image, it appears to be only a shortcut. You may also want to have a look at this freebie i discovered 2 weeks ago called "Gizmo Drive". Lots of features including the ability to create "new" virtual drives. You choose the size and whether you want to encrypt it or not. Fully up to date (Vista/7 32bit/64bit).

http://arainia.com/software/gizmo/overview.php?nID=4

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Hummm, looks to me like you can use it to mount a virtual drive but is that the same thing as creating one? I know nothing about this stuff but...... It would be nice if there was a bit more info on the program available on the publishers site before you download and install it on your computer.

Paragon has released a virtualization program (I got one for free but have yet to try it, it may be freeware or it may now be sold). Its called Paragon govirtual and given the ease of use of other Paragon products I have tried I have high hopes for this one.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Don't know for sure about all of these mentioned, but many such tools do nothing more than the old subst command does. It is only creating a drive letter to a directory. When you go into the drive, it is a shortcut of sorts. What happens there is happening for real. The libraries and new links in Vista/7 are a more robust method of subst AFAIK.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.