Virtual Box or Vmware player?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Firebolt059, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebolt059

Firebolt059 Registered Member

Which works better/is easier to use for you and why?

2. quintile

quintile Registered Member

3. Firebolt059

So do u like Virtual Box better than?

4. quintile

What kind of machine are you using, and what are you going to be using VM or Vbox for-that's the first question you should ask yourself.

What someone else does might not work for your purpose..
    or on your puter..

5. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Try both and then YOU decide.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Check out a very similar thread here ;)

7. Firebolt059

Testing AV/AS software. Using a junk PC with core 2 duo 2.53 GHz and 4GB 1333MHz RAM

8. Firebolt059

Does Virtual Box have the same features as VMware? is it only difference is that its free?

9. quintile

Like wat said, THIS Thread answers almost ALL your questions..

PS> ya have to read it.

10. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

A few weeks ago, I installed VMWare Player 3 (FREE and not all the features of VMWare Workstation) and it was easy to learn to use it. I installed XP easily and I downloaded a number of Linux appliances and all worked very well. With VMWare it is very easy to copy a guest machine, rename it and open it in VMWare. VMWare was everything I hoped for. I tried VirtualBox but it was not as easy to use as VMWare so I didn't use it.

The motherboard and most components on that PC burned up and so I built a new PC and installed VMWare. It still works well and has been pretty easy to use but not quite as problem free as on the previous PC. I will stay with until it gives me more problems.

VMWare Player may work better for me because I use it on an XP machine. When I was using VirtualBox, it seemed that it was not quite as easy to use.

I would suggest trying VMWare first. If it does not function flawlessly, or is not easy to learn, try VirtualBox, then stick with the one you like the most. I should note that VMWare Tools (may not be essential) installed flawlessly the first time I used VMWare but I had to do a lot of work to get them installed the second time.

Good luck.

11. korben

korben Registered Member

VBox is slow on my rig,
    VMLite works much better, more options, same learning curve

12. s23

s23 Registered Member

Well, last time i tried VMWare Player it not permit take snapshots... what Virtualbox do. This is the main reason why i choose Virtualbox. Other than that, no big differences for me. If you can learn one, can learn the other.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

It’s a personal perspective, but it seems to me that VMware is generally acknowledged as being the “gold standard” in virtualization; and, as a result, I would expect it to be more solid and secure than its competition at this point in time.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It comes down to personal preference in the end since both products do the job they were intended for.My own choice is Virtualbox simply because I've used it more extensively than VMWare and it's smooth and intuitive to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.