ViRobot Desktop 5 Trial only provide Bitdefender's old database?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by andylau, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andylau

andylau Registered Member

ViRobot Desktop 5 Trial only provide Bitdefender's old signature?

Hi,

Today I have downloaded the HAURI ViRobot Desktop 5 trial version.
    http://www.globalhauri.com

It is integrated with Bitdefender Engine.
    After installed it, I tried to update , but the base and the engine
    of BD cannot be updated to the latest.

It shows that the total signatures are 372988. Then, I go to the installed directory of Hauri,
    and I open the "update.txt" , the date is in 2006!

Both base and engine of BD is old no matter how many times I try to
    update.

Also I have tried to copy my BD 8 free's base to replace HAURI's old

BD base. After updating, the base change to the back! The base

and engine of BD is still in 2006.

andylau

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, what you have seen about ViRobot and the BD engine is the same as my experience. ViRobot apparently uses the BitDefender engine not for its signatures but for its very good unpack engine it seems. The BD engine is not updated very often, maybe once every 6 or so months for the sake of updating the unpack engine. Hauri is making a foolish mistake by doing this IMO, but what they do is their decision. They have good support, and if they use the BD engine properly they can have good detection rate also.

Whether this behaviour with the BD engine in ViRobot will change with the soon-to-come 5.5 version is yet unknown to me. But I do hope that the 5.5 version uses the BD engine with full signature updates instead of using it as a secondary unpack engine.

BTW, I had serious trouble uninstalling ViRobot on my Windows XP PC. I hope you don't have the same problems.

3. andylau

andylau Registered Member

It is a pity that the same problem still appear on ViRobot 5.5!
    I really don't know why ViRobot will do something like that!
    If the engine and base of BD cannot be updated, why Virobot still put BD engine and base on its product?
    I think ViRobot should change its policy on BD engine and signature, don't just say it is using BD technology , but without the latest engine and signature!

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If they admitted that the BD engine in Virobot is not updated, then it would be bad for their marketing team. As I have said before, Virobot uses BitDefender engine for unpack engine (because BitDefender engine is able to scan a lot of file types, and this helps Virobot's marketing in Korea) and not for signatures. Pretty stupid move from them, but I've seen Korean companies make some stupid decisions (For example, Virus Chaser disabling Dr.Web heuristic engine).

I do hope Hauri comes to their senses regarding this, as I felt that apart from its poor detection rate, it is an otherwise good product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.