VIPRE Premium UPDATE 1 version 4.0.3904

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by atomomega, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I can your reads in the picture, but not read bytes. My PC has been on under 8 hours, and has about 1 trillion read bytes. I have not done a manual scan in this period. Just mostly web surfing. I have never seen a program, anti-malware or other, anywhere close to this kind of disk usage.

2. m0unds

m0unds Guest

over 1,000,000,000,000 bytes? (932ish GB in 8 hours = 116GB/hr) if my math is right, that's sustained reads of ~33MB/second for 8 hours consecutively...not that i don't believe you, but could we see a screenshot? that's an insane amount of reads. if it's 1T bytes, something's really wrong and you should contact sunbelt support.

imy desktop's been on for a few days and it has 70GB of reads, after it performed a scheduled scan. i also have vipre running on a fileserver that does scheduled scans a couple times a week and it's also only showing approximately 80GB of read bytes after rebooting it tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  3. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I'm sorry guys... As soon as i get home i'll take a look at it and try to post the correct one... :thumb:

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Sorry, I misread it. 110 billion. The next highest item is the BITS svhost at 96 million.

5. m0unds

m0unds Guest

that's still pretty high if you haven't had any on-demand scanning or anything going on. i'd still suggest contacting sunbelt about it.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The last couple days I keep rebooting trying to see if it is just a fluke, or if the disk IO is really that high, but it appears to be the case. The program seems very light in terms of memory, avg on CPU time, and heavy with disk io compared to other programs I have tested the last few months.

7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

something you could try to mitigate the IO impact til you get a response from sunbelt support is setting it to only scan on exe (active protection>settings>uncheck "check files when they are opened or copied")

8. atomomega

this should really help with any issues related to preformance... however, as far as i know this option is disabled by default on the latest build...

9. atomomega

I hope this is the right one...
    viprereadbytes.jpg

10. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I looked here... and saw Re: Really Frustrating AV Apps Pulling On System Resources https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1747849#post1747849 by atomomega

Whether it is inordinate or not...I don't hazard an opinion.

But this is what I get in my screenie, FWIW :)

Attached Files:

11. m0unds

m0unds Guest

haha, your screenshot is showing the same thing atomomega's was initially, "I/O Reads" not "I/O Read Bytes" - the bytes make all the difference :D

but by inordinate qty of read bytes..i was referring to clocks' "whoops" with the number, showing nearly 1TB read in 8 hours (appx 33MB/sec sustained for that whole time, without any on-demand scanning)

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Here we go...:D

Attached Files:

13. m0unds

m0unds Guest

haha, that's only 13-some-odd GB

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Wow!!!!!

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

When all is said and done...does it matter how many bytes? : -\

16. m0unds

m0unds Guest

like i said earlier, unless it's some crazy number in a short period of time (i.e. the product is going nuts & looping on something) and it's interfering with your work (which can be addressed in part by using the workaround i suggested, setting it to scan on exe only) then it's just a side-effect of it having an on-access scanner, which scans everything infectable as it's read from disk.

there are lots of things in the world that i enjoy a great deal more than staring at taskmon or procexplorer and fretting about disk access ;)

17. atomomega

great! thank you very much for taking the time to explain further on this matter. :thumb:

18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

On most modern PCs, with GBs of ram and multi-core processors, disk access has the most potential to impact performance.

19. m0unds

m0unds Guest

that goes without saying. it's also why lots of products include an option to disable scanning on access in favor of scanning on execution.

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I keep reading that Vipre will be making an appearance in AV-Comparatives. Any update on that or any upcoming tests by other organizations?

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i honestly have no idea, wen it comes to AV-C testing, they seem to act like Comodo and keep "procrastinating"...

22. atomomega

@The Hammer: IDK, the people at the forum always answer back with vague words when asked about VIPRE being tested by any independet organization. However I've seen it on VB's RAP, doing pretty well actually. That might be a good sign, but again nobody says nothing official... o_O
    @firzen771: LOL... but yeah for some odd reason thay just keep "leaving it for tomorrow"... :D

23. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Apparently the new company is still "thinking" of participating at av-comparatives; they have also been tested over at PC Security Labs .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.