Vipre Premium Hips !

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Currently setting up Vipre Premium...anybody have any input as too how to set up Hips correctly...excuse my ignorance...but being new to the benefit of utilizing Hips...what are the essential pros and cons of Hips with the firewall and how does it impact on system performance ? Sincerely...Securon

2. m0unds

m0unds Guest

look at nick's post here. it outlines the functionality of it as well as pros/cons and his suggested method of configuration.

as far as system impact, i didn't notice any. i didn't see a reason to use it, so i checked it out, didn't see a reason to leave it turned on and turned it off.

*edit* just noticed that was your thread - haha. i think his answer is sufficient re: configuration, and there's really no impact to using it (as i said) aside from what nick stated, which is that lots of things use code injection...so if you're in to clicking on prompts and manually excluding stuff, then it'd be great.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  3. Securon

Good Evening ! Thanks MOunds for shaking my memory cob-webs ! It was back in May...and as I was initiating this thread...I had a faint recollection of having placed the query on Sunbelt's forum. The part that's still not clear to me is am I missing anything from not adding Hips ? Sincerely...Securon

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. m0unds

m0unds Guest

you're missing out on manually excluding nearly every trusted app that you have that uses code injection ;)

what i'd suggest though is changing the setting for "handling of unknown programs" under active protection settings -- either to "prompt if an application attempts to change important system settings" or "prompt if an application attempts to run or change important system settings" with the first one leading to fewer prompts. under that settings area, also make sure you have "prompt me to act on applications with suspicious characteristics"

what this will do is engage some additional features in vipre's behavioral analysis engine that can help protect your machine a bit better with very little in the way of annoying prompts and stuff.

hope this helps.

5. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

However, I have to add that IME, when enabling "prompt if an application attempts to change important system settings" or "prompt if an application attempts to run or change important system settings" and "prompt me to act on applications with suspicious characteristics" VIPRE would want to reboot the computer after stopping an attack. I really don't know exactly why, but if these options are not enabled, VIPRE will only notify me that the threat in question was blocked and that's it. No need to reboot. Im currently running it w/o the HIPS.

6. Securon

Good Morning ! Thanks Gentlemen for your feedback, think I'll bypass Hips for the moment. Sincerely...Securon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.