VIPRE - Generous discount this coming Friday

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by smith2006, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

2. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Thats a hell of a mark-down :)

I havent heard of VIPRE before, but the reviews earlier this year of the beta are very positive.

Thanks for the head-up.

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

That is tempting o_O

4. vijayind

Does VIPRE subscription start, the day I buy it or only when I activate it ??

5. qpok

qpok Registered Member

From what I remember the subscription starts when you activate the licence for the first time.

6. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I purchased a new Antivir Premium license for my laptop this past weekend and my desktop is already covered! :'( :D

7. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

That's a good news. :thumb:

8. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

They can even make it freeware, the amount of useless popups about good files(they are recognized as good even by Vipre itself) and the lack of detetion will not make me use it.My computer doesnt crashed like it did few months ago but it consideres any file as a threat:blink: .I used the trial maybe one hour :eek:
    Make it freeware if you have the guts:D
    Nobody will use it.:cool:

9. vijayind

Thanks, Qpok :thumb:

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Congratiolations, you just became a candidate for the Understatement of the Year Award. In case of any winnings we will contact you. Thank you for your participation.

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Can some more people comment on this?

12. qpok

qpok Registered Member

I've had no problems with Vipre. Although its capabilities (namely the detection rates) are still somewhat unknown to me. Like I've commented in the Vipre thread, the only (extensive) review I've found is the one conducted by Virus Bulletin. Luckily an admin from AV-Comparatives commented on reviewing Vipre in the future.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Maybe this has improved, but when I tried the demo I had a ton of problems and quickly had to remove it.

With a vastly improved Norton 09 free or close to it after rebates, I see no reason to bother with this program.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I own it, 3 years of it.

It's extremely light, and seems very stable.

A 'very few' amount of fp's I did notice, but this happens with all of them.

It hasn't really been tested as if yet for detection and removal rates, but as a product, it runs really well.

Oh, and it works flawlessly on x64.

15. vijayind

I have the same thoughts .... Although VIPRE stakes claim of being light, its still a bloat in comparison to Norton 2009. Even in beta and the release, VIPRE was decent but not stellar. Its detection is also not top-notch, yet IMO.

The only thing I like about this deal, is that I can buy now and activate the subscription later.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  16. vijayind

Happy to be Congratiolation'ed

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm.... no its not. o_O

18. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I am tempted ...

But will I be allowed to pay in USD, or some other currency because I don't live in the USA ?

There is also one thing lacking: a good firewall. I can't use my current McAfee firewall as a standalone application, and Sunbelt's firewall would cost money. And the Windows XP firewall is just not good enough IMO.

And there is the lack of good/decent comparative reviews ...
    A company like McAfee has a lot of personell and money to come up with the definitions, malicious scripts etc. How can I know how good Sunbelt is when I normally don't encounter any real malware ?

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the inspector is leading the way, and hes proven himself down the years.

also, if you never encounter malware, does it matter what you use?

its all IF's and BUT's i know, :rolleyes:

20. vijayind

Maybe for you. Too bad VIPRE is not included in many comparison test, else we could have had some factual evidence too.

But in my experience with VIPRE it was slim, but not light. There were lags, esp. when you opened folders with many exe files. Boot time was also a bit longer.
    In comparison, Norton 2009 on my PCs and various performance tests, has shown to be quite light.

All-in-all VIPRE is not a bad product/start, but Norton 2009 / Avira have just inched the scales a bit higher for everyone.

21. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I have a license or Vipre. I thought it was light. It didn't slow down my PC. Lots of pop ups that can be annoying to some. It only updated virus definitions once a day, and not on weekends. Maybe that has changed now, but that is the reason I stopped using it.

22. gates

gates Registered Member

if this is the fact, then this deal is realy nice :thumb:

23. qpok

qpok Registered Member

I must add that I got my subscription by upgrading a non-activated CounterSpy license to a Vipre license. But I can't see why the procedure would be any different for purchasing the license instead of upgrading.

24. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Norton Internet Security 2009 is going to be free after all the rebates (including an upgrader rebate) starting tomorrow at Staples.

I have run NIS for some time, and always wait for a Staples promotion, typically costing me $0 -15 net after rebates, and I have never had a problem with rebates either.

I am very happy with the much improved 2009 release. Criticize the magazines if you want, but PC Mag's security software tester Neil Rubenking said he was installing it on his own computers.

25. Fly

Fly Registered Member

About those rebates (for NIS and others): is it possible to use ANY of them when you live in Europe, outside the USA/Canada ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.