Vipre AV 4 best settings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anderb, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello friends,I need some help on setting up this AV,are there correct settings or the default ones are ok? I´ve tested the firewall on shields up, and it failed,what can I do to be protected?
    Thank u for your opinions:)

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I just installed Vipre Premium and followed the advice in the pcmag.com review to tighten the firewall:

Open the Vipre interface, click file, settings, firewall tab. Click the IDS button. Change High and Medium Intrusions to "Block with Notify". Change Low Intrustions to Allow with Notify (or Block if you wish). Close the IDS properties page.

Also on the Firewall properties page go down to process protection, make sure HIPS is enabled and change to "Block with Notify".

Be prepared for lots of pop-ups while you're initially configuring applications and read them carefully. It will get quieter after a while.

I'm surprised by this "old school" HIPS & IPS management as all the new suites have moved on to handle almost of this automatically (white/black listing, behavior analysis, etc). It's really not suitable for the average user who will not know how to evaluate and respond properly to the alerts. This feels like a step backward to me. I'm using a thirty day trial license at the moment - don't know how long I'll use it though.

3. anderb

anderb Registered Member

thank you for your help ;)

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Your welcome and good luck. I grew weary of the manual HIPS and IPS settings pretty quickly. One option would be to turn off the firewall in Vipre and use a different one, such as PC Tools Firewall Plus, which handles things more automatically.

5. Templar

Templar Registered Member

Check out the forums at vipreantivirus.com - there's a very simple way of getting the Firewall to pass all leaktests etc. I don't use it but I remember the same Qs being asked there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.