VIPRE Anti Virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shoe, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoe

shoe Registered Member

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Re: VPRE Anti Virus

The Guard is very light in real-time and support is superb. They even offered me ( a UK customer; price in stirling is very high) a large discount on the retail price.

However, its detection rate is still unknown and I think it is expensive, particularly when compared to the quality of the free AVs now available. Moreover, their Enterprise version is the main AV product.

3. shoe

shoe Registered Member

Thanks

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yep... im STILL waiting for it to be included in a test of any kind...

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

If the rumor (this forum) is true, VIPRE is a second or third rate AV.
    In that case, don't hold your breath.

6. firzen771

i like to see professional tests before i make an official opinion about it :)

7. ASM

ASM Registered Member

What do you mean by 2nd or 3rd rate AV...o_O

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

'search' can do wonders. ;)

9. gery

gery Registered Member

second that:thumb:

10. onigen

onigen Registered Member

I agree with the previous posters; it should be included in some tests for basic comparison (will also promote brand recognition).

11. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I think I might have read about it being include in an upcoming AV- Comparitives test but I am most likely remembering wrong I have been messing around with the trial version and I gotta say its lighter than any other ive tried, nice GUI real easy to use so if it pans out on some tests I might give it a go after my current license expires. I was thinking of running some tests myself, just to compare it against my current AV ESET and maybe Avira, Avast,and maybe one or two more.

Which brings up a good question? Where might I get some infectious junk to test with, I used to download Hacker Packs that contained plenty of malware but now its hard to find them and their also used to be a website that would have samples for download but that website is dead. I have a test system but its a dinosaur and its gets boring to surf the internet waiting to get infected. Just wanted to speed the process up. lol

12. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Been using Vipre for a while now and love it. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone and do quite often. Very fast scans, very light on resources and have had no issues with it at all. In fact, I dropped my ESET license in favor of Vipre.

13. firzen771

the tray icon really irritates me, it makes it looks half done and effortless...

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

These characteristics are common to many other Antivirus programs; but the key factor is a balance between performance and detection. And at the present time we have no idea of the protection capablities of Vipre as it has not been tested regularly at a variety of testing sites.

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I tried it once. I didn't like the GUI and/or tray icon.

More important, ON MY COMPUTER (5 years old and 512 MB RAM, without other security software) it was slow. Both Eset Smart Security and the Avira security suite were faster.

Currently I use Avira.

I would definetely 'hesitate' to recommend it to anyone, for a couple of reasons. I suppose you can always give it a try, but as long as it hasn't been tested by av-comparatives I wouldn't buy it or recommend it to anyone.

16. TheIgster

Well, that's hardly a reason to dismiss an anti virus product don't you think? Look at the MSE tray icon if you want ugly.

I like the tray icon personally.

I've really had no issues with it and to the other person who posted in this thread, as to tests, I've seen a bunch of YouTube videos of tests as well as my own tests with certain infections and Vipre has performed very, very well.

As to speed, well, with half a GIG of RAM, I couldn't tell you, but I have 8GB of RAM. Not sure how many setups these days that would have less than 1 or 2 GB of RAM personally. Vipre has been the fastest on my system out of all the anti virus products I have tested.

17. firzen771

at least the MSE tray icon is polished and looks professionally done, the Vipre tray icon is blocky and looks like a 9 year old made it on MS Paint, if u want a professional look to ur product, gotta start somewer, and with all the great AV's out ther, something as small as this actually can make a decision...

18. shoe

shoe Registered Member

Any one have a screen shot of this

19. TheIgster

Are we seriously going to base our anti virus decisions on the tray icon?

The icon is fine. I really don't see an issue. It's a blue rectangle with a V in it.

20. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

People base there choices on things even smaller then this, Why should this be any different. People just expect things to look nice with the introduction of Windows Vista and beyond Along with the Mac OS, people expect things to look better then they did in Windows 3.1. And frankly it should its like applying for a job its not just what is inside its also Appearance matters also. If your neat and clean your treated with more respect, If you look like you just woke up from a hangover your not getting the job. :blink:

21. TheIgster

Fine I guess, but like I said, I personally don't see an issue with the appearance. I like the look of the program and I don't understand why someone would dislike this system tray icon. It's so small I can't even tell what it looks like other than a rectangle and a V in it. I can barely see the darn thing. Not sure it's it's such a big deal. It's a 16 x 16 icon. Pretty tough to do much of anything with it.

Attached Files:

22. firzen771

EXACTLY, its ONLY a rectangle and a blocky "V" in it, if u look around other vendors have made professional, clear tray icons in the same amount of space, and the reason i am putting so much of my decision on the tray icon is cuz i have MANY alternatives that are equally as good if not better for free and paid so something small and aesthetic like this can make the judgment call for me when thers nothing really else to compare.

23. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Symantec didn't seem to have a problem.

Attached Files:

24. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Wow, a wee bit obtuse IMO. If you don't like the icon then hide it. :ninja:

25. firzen771

i like to have my AV's icon in my tray visible so i can access it wenever i need right ther. if EVERY other vendor is capable of making a half decent tray icon then why is Vipre's stuck in the Win95 era? they seem capable of making a nice GUI for the program, dont see why they can transfer it to such an easy thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.