viglen computers.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    my first computer i got like 12 years ago was a viglen and must of been my best pc ever.
    i found out today they are still a company
    and do some good deals.
    i also found out in the config page you can tell them how you want it partitioned so you dont have to have one big C: partition.
    also they still come with xp and not crappy vista.
    well you can choose vista but xp is the standard option.
    anyone know if they come with crap installed or not?
    because i might buy a viglen since i used to really like the old one.
    thanks
    lodore

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Viglen is a UK outfit. Website is THERE.

I love the looks of the computer pictured on their website.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

A Viglen (286 CPU running at around 15Mhz, 1MB of RAM and 30MB hard drive :D) was my first PC too. Viglen Ltd are now part of Alan Sugar's AMSTRAD empire.

Regards

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think my old pc has 1gb hard drive but i will find out tomorrow when i take it apart.
    it ran windows 95 only had to reboot twice in 4 years.
    would of only been once but i put the scratched cd in twice lol
    interesting that your first pc was also viglen.
    nice spec:D

I do like the look of the laptops but i couldnt afford one.
    I like the btx desktop cases.
    they are still using the same logo they did when i got my first pc.
    you can get a intel core duo based pc from them for under £500 with a decent graphics card.
    lodore

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

My first PC was a Gateway 386 DX, 20mhz, 80 mb hdd, approx. $3000. OS Dos4.

What was the diff between SX & DX processor?

Take Care
    Rico

Blast from the past

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Single and dual channel memory processing, if I remember well.
    My last DOS machine was DX3 100MHz - 3 x DX 33MHz. SX was 25MHz with Turbo, 8MHz without, DX was 33MHz with Turbo, 16MHz without.
    Mrk

7. Menorcaman

The i386SX had 32-bit internal addressing but only a 16-bit external data bus and a 24-bit address bus (hence it could only address 16MB of physical memory). The i386DX had full 32-bit addressing, both internally and externally (and could therefore address up to 4GB of physical memory). Neither version had an integral maths coprocessor module (introduced in the i486DX but disabled in the i486SX).

Regards

Menorcaman

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

My first was a V-Tech, in 1991. 16mhz processor, 30 meg HD, with DOS5 and Windows 3. The only extra software it came with was something called WindowWorks - a word processor. I paid $1400 for it, including the monitor and for the first and only time since, I was on the cutting edge with the latest and fastest computer available. Barely a few months later, 33mhz boxes were available, and I've never caught up since.

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Menorcaman - I remember buying a math co processor & plugging it in. Remember DOSSHELL, I liked X-Tree. How about 386max? Moving stuff to upper memory address, so as to have more mem available in the 640 area.

Geez! I got Stacker (dbl HD) they bought me a new computer (Gateway) so they could, see why Stacker would not work. I shipped the Stacker machine to smoewhere in the the San Diego area.

Take Care
    Rico

10. Menorcaman

My first ever computer, as opposed to a PC, was a Texas Instruments TI99-4A. This was followed a year later by an Atari 400 (for which I bought the Atari 40 character per line thermal printer to print out my lines and lines of programming code!!), then an Atari 800 (great machine - two ROM cartridge slots, RAM was expandable up to 48KB and a proper keyboard), complete with a "Monkeywrench 2" cartridge (anybody remember one of those) for disassembling memory dumps and subsequent reassembling and a "Happy Drive" converted external 5.25 inch floppy disk drive (shhh - don't tell anyone, but I'll leave you to guess what I used those for :blink: :ninja:). I remember buying a book that listed out every memory address (including the extra 16KB of the Atari Basic ROM) from 0 to FFFF and what its purpose was. Can you just imagine how thick a similar book would be nowadays :blink:. Kept the 800 and suplimented it with an Atari 64 (could page out to a whopping 64KB of RAM!!) until I got serious and bought that Viglen 80286.

Regards

Menorcaman

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

When I worked at CALTECH, I had the sometime pleasure of working with an 'IMASI 8080' it did not work very often, early 1980's.

Check out:

http://www.pcmuseum.ca/

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.