Viewpoint Media Player

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by me, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. me

me Registered Member

PestPatrol flags some files in the C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Media Player folder and several associated registry entries on my PC as the Viewpoint Toolbar spyware. However, neither AdAware nor Spybot SD scans report any problem. Doing a Google Search on Viewpoint Media Player results in many sites that say Viewpoint Media Player is indeed spyware. It comes bundled with Adobe Atmosphere, which is apparently how it ended up on my machine. No Viewpoint products appear in my control panel's Add/Remove Programs list but the Adobe Atmosphere player is on the list of programs that can be uninstalled.

Should I try and remove Viewpoint or leave well enough alone? If I do attempt a removal, should I first uninstall the Adobe Atmosphere player and then use PestPatrol to cleanup anything left behind?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

If it's of any help, I simply used Add/Remove to get rid of the Adobe Atmosphere component (and that stupid Photo package, too, actually, that I mistakenly let install when updating Adobe).

As you say, neither SBS&D nor AdAware flag anything else that is in the ViewPoint stuff - and I'm sure not seeing a toolbar installed here, anyway. Pete

3. me

me Registered Member

After reading your post I decided also to uninstall the Adobe Atmosphere player and that took care of the Viewpoint Media player. Surprisingly, the uninstall was quite thorough and didn't leave anything behind. Thanks for your reply Spy1.

4. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:D I have the CA 5.0 version of Pest Patrol and have the same Viewpoint Toolbar detection. My Viewpoint came with the AOL 9.0 dial-up bundle. I have contacted Pest Patrol Support and they are supposed to rectify this detection in the near future. In the meantime it's on my exclusions list along with the DivX Player and a couple of other detections their Tech Support are looking into !!

:ninja: Hard Rocker !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.