Viewing sites with images/flash/gifs, etc

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kuba, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuba

kuba Registered Member

I just got 2gigs of RAM recently for my ASUS A7N8X-X (hate asus' customer support btw, horrible) but anyways...When viewing multiple tabs in FF1.0.7, my RAM drops considerably.
    A lot of the sites I view are graphic heavy, whether it's gifs, jpegs, flash, etc...
    But then at 1000mb of free RAM, everything starts to load more slowly.
    I would expect that at 500mb, not 1000.
    I add the new integer value for memory leakage into FF at integer value 60000.
    Maybe it's NOD32 that downloads every image first before i view it?
    I notice a little popup with NOD saying "downloading" then there's a whole whack of image/gifs/jpegs, etc being downloaded (or scanned?)
    I love NOD for it, since it's protecting my comp, but is there a way around this, to turn that option off, or am i risking any attacks via image/gifs, etc...

Any ideas what's going on here guys?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

with the recent exploits of image formats - I don't recommend it. You might tune the passive mode UP, so that NOD32 doesn't revert to passive mode for smaller images (say 400kb or more - I have mine at 2mb)

How many tabs do you have open at a time - I generally operate 5-15 firefox 1.07 windows with between 1 and 20 tabs - I haven't seen the kinds of slowdown you experience, and I only have 1gb of RAM on my machine.

Let us know how it goes...

3. kuba

kuba Registered Member

How would I do that?
    Normally I try not to have more than 3-6 tabs, but today, i had about 10-12 on the go.
    Thanks
    (noticed I'm not the only one that didn't do the switch over to 1.5 yet, guess you're waiting like me for the kinks to work out:))

4. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I've been running 1.5 since the day it was released and updated to 1.5.0.1 the day it was released without problems. There may still be a few extensions that have yet to be updated, but all of mine have updated versions (2:cool:.

It sounds as if you may have an extension conflict occurring or you may need to update graphics drivers, this often helps with Firefox "memory leaks" (the problems I have read of do not exhibit classic symptoms of a memory leak).

Firefox renames cached files so you should not be in danger of any cached files executing even if you put Firefox in the higher compatiblity section.

There is a critical vulnerability in 1.0.7. I would recommend a clean install rather than reusing the Firefox profile used in the 1.0.x series.

How to perform a clean installation

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Control Center | IMON | Setup | HTTP | at the bottom - "switch to" - you should experiment with it.

Also - I make sure my client settings are "high compatibility" - it can make for slower AV scanning, but I haven't had a bad experience to date - and my home machine is only a 1.8Ghz machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.