view/run question

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Shelb, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Hi,
    In asking these questions I hope I am not missing something obvious. If so, accept my apologies in advance. :D )

I have couple of question regarding the view/run option on the decrypt tab in Cryptosuite.
    When I decrypt a *.cse file and use the view/run tab to execute the file, it is copied into a temp directory on my computer (C:\Documents and Settings\user_profile\Local Settings\Temp).

For example, I use cryptosuite to encrypt a text file named secure.txt containing file with credit card numbers. After I have viewed them using the view/run tab, I can close Cryptosuite and go into the temp directory and read the same secure.txt file containing my credit card numbers. So if I open secure.cse to grab a credit card number, I have to go to the temp directory and secure delete the text file. Is there a setting in Cryptosuite or XP to avoid this?

Additionally, it would be nice to be able to to make a file run from the encrypted directory, make changes, and have the changes saved into the file within that encrypted directory. I have another encrypted file containing some MS Money files. I must extract the files, run them, save them, and then reencrypt them.

Last question along the same lines. Is there an option to add files to an already encrypted file?

These are not really big deals, but it seems like I am spending a lot of time decrypting, rencrypting, and secure deleting files everytime I add or change one.

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

You can add files to an archive, simply give the same filename as the existing CSE file when you encrypt the files. It will ask you if you want to update any files in the CSE file (if they have the same name) and if you click YES it updates the file in the archive.

In the next version all temp files will be securely deleted after you close down CryptoSuite or press the Close Archive Button.

-Jason-

3. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!

The process for adding files seems logical now that I think about it, but I didn't see anything in the help file so I wasn't sure if it was there.

Thanks for adding the secure delete in the next version :D

What about the option to edit the file and save the changes to the archive?

Thanks again :D

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Well when I come to add that I will see how much MORE work will be required to see if the file you open has changed, and if so ask the user to update it. I have wanted something like this to be in there so I might add it regardless as it is quite a good option to have.

The helpfile will undergo some changes to clarify UPDATING/ADDING files to archives.

-Jason-

5. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Thanks, thats awesome!

Quick disclaimer:
    I have little...well actually zero :D, knowledge of prgramming. So if I ever suggest something that, while seems like a 'great' feature to me, is absolutely ludicrous in terms of workload or feasibility......just place a little * refer to the newbie disclaimer ;) :D

6. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Don't say that, it's a really good feature you said !

Indeed, i have read people saying they won't bother to encrypt files, decrypt, works on it, save, encrypt again.

With such feature, once encrypted, you can enter the archive with the password, view/run and modify any documents (i think to private "Word" documents) and see them saved when you close it without additional work :)

7. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

When it can work transparant in the background, yes, then I have a use for it.
    Dolf

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

As I was thinking about it last night, it will not be that much harder to add detection of modified files. So with some Christmas hope, it will be in the next version. :)

-Jason-

9. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

What a great Christmas gift!
    I can't wait to unwrap the next version under my Christmas tree :D

10. Gary Graham

Gary Graham Registered Member

In reading the former posts, this was addressed almost, but not exactly:

I have an encrypted file with several files in it. Some Notepad documents, and some Microsoft Works word processor documents. If I open the encrypted file, and view a notepad document, then modify it and have it 'Save', when I close then re-open it, it was saved in the encrypted file. If I view a works word document, modify and save it, when I re-open it, it was not saved.

This happens every time. It just seems to me it should be either saves, or neither should. o_O

Gary

11. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

i tried with a txt (notepad) file and it wasn't saved.

12. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Gary,
    I experienced similar behavior, but found that the notepad document was saving to the temp directory by default. Then when I reopened the *.txt file from the encrypted directory, it was displaying the notepad file from the temp directory instead of the encrypted one.

Try saving changes, then deleting the file from the temp directory, then reopening from the encrypted file.

On my XP machine, the notepad file saves itself in C:\Documents and Settings\your user profile\Local Settings\Temp may differ on a different machine though :D

Hope this helps :D

13. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

This is what is being worked on for the next version Gary. :)

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.