Vietnam MPs Approve Sweeping Cyber Security Law

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by guest, Jun 12, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Vietnam MPs Approve Sweeping Cyber Security Law
    Vietnamese lawmakers on Tuesday approved a sweeping cyber security law which could compel Facebook and Google to take down critical posts within 24 hours, as space for debate is crushed inside the Communist country.
    June 12, 2018
    https://www.securityweek.com/vietnam-mps-approve-sweeping-cyber-security-law

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Maybe Tor onions?

3. guest

guest Guest

Those laws are focused to hamper the impact of the Average Joes computer user type of dissidents. Here, those techies enough, use VPNs and Tor already.
    Most Vietnamese don't care much about privacy (this is the very very least of their problems) , since they don't talk all day about politics, which is a topic people avoid to discuss.

4. mirimir

Yeah, I get that. Sad but true.

5. guest

guest Guest

Vietnam activists flock to ‘safe’ social media after cyber crackdown
    July 5, 2018
    https://www.geo.tv/latest/202019-vietnam-activists-flock-to-safe-social-media-after-cyber-crackdown

6. mirimir

OK, so https://www.minds.com/ o_O

Looks pretty corporate to me :(

And it wants to talk with Stripe, which is not a good sign :(

7. guest

guest Guest

what is Stripe? and why bad sign?

8. mirimir

Stripe is a payment processor. Which recently dropped Bitcoin support. Making it useless to privacy lovers.

9. guest

guest Guest

Stripe is required to use Minds?

10. mirimir

I'm not sure. They use internal crypto play money, and I'm guessing that Stripe is their interface to dollars etc.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I went to that site but I don't see it wearing a suit and tie?

30 seconds of use says Stripe has nothing to do with it.

12. mirimir

OK, in https://www.minds.com/faq I see that Stripe is no longer a requirement.
    But they do require a mobile number. Which is problematic for people who want to remain anonymous. Maybe virtual mobile numbers work.

13. guest

guest Guest

indeed, it defeats the whole purpose...

14. elapsed

No you don't need a mobile number just to use the website, I'm not sure what you've been continually smoking during this thread.

15. guest

guest Guest

:argh:

Phone is required for the wallet

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018
  16. elapsed

Um...

How does requiring a phone number for financial transactions "defeat the whole purpose"?

Also:

You'll forgive me for thinking you were talking about the entire site, not some "wallet". It's a social media website, and this thread is about the Vietnamese using it as an alternative to Facebook.

17. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

We are well on the road to no global internet and no online freedom of speech and if anyone who wants to open their eyes and see, the reason is democracy. Anyone who wants to know more, it is political so pm me.

18. guest

guest Guest

because in some countries like Vietnam or France, your phone number is tied to your real ID , then if some gov agencies manage to legally/illegally access the list, then your anonymity is no more...
    In the case of Minds, the phone is needed for the wallet function of the site (they say it is not stored) then encrypted, probably to give you a unique ID.
    The site looks more like twittter than facebook ^^

register to the site then you will understand, if you want get "payments" , you need the wallet.
    btw, i live in Vietnam...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
  19. mirimir

Sorry, I jumped topics in that post. The stuff about Stripe applies only to financial transactions. But providing a mobile number is a requirement for creating an account.
    Yes, and now you must provide a mobile number in order to create an account. Just like for Twitter. But ironically, that's no longer a requirement for creating a Facebook account. Or at least, it's not when using its Tor onion site.

20. elapsed

I understand, thanks for clarifying. Connecting a phone number to an ID is quite worrying.

I'm not seeing this requirement, it appears to only be used for 2FA.

It's not a requirement for Twitter either.

21. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

:eek::eek::eek:
    Seriously?

How can such an insane system existso_O

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Caution!!!!. Don't let computer security go political

23. guest

guest Guest

In Vietnam it is just the law.
    In France, most people use contracts so you must give your ID and bank account anyway, i remember before there were some burner sim cards, without the need of registration but im not sure if it still exist (long time i didn't live there).

24. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Hmmm....
    It would be interesting to have list how many countries allow getting pre-paid sim cards just like that, without any id or registration nonsense.

25. guest

guest Guest

until last year Vietnam had unregistered pre-paid sim Cards (90% of vietnamese use them) , the SIMs in fact are "registered" to the seller.
    but few month ago, the law forces users to go register their sim with their ID if they want to keep the number they currently use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.