Video Card Help

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi, I'm going to upgrade my Gateway GT5622 from onboard graphics to a EVGA 610 card:

BIOS > Adv. chipset > Initiate Graphics Adapter - I have the following choices:

1. IGD
    2. PCI?IGD
    3. PCI/PEG
    4. PEG/IGD
    5. PEG/PCI
    6. PCI

Which should I choose, I would guess 3, 5, or 6?

Also at the BIOS:

Internal graphics mode select which has options

Enabled 8 MB
    or
    Enabled 1 MB

By choosing the correct above (3,5, or 6), the internal graphics mode, will it allow DISABLED, or not be a factor as the pcie 2 card is installed?

At System > Device Manager > Display Adapter:

has. Intel 82945G Express chipset family

Should I right click this & choose disable?

Thanks
    Rico

also installing 480 W PSU

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

PEG is PCI Express Graphics. So if your new card is in a PCI-E slot I'd try 5 first. Once the card is in and you boot into Windows just check the device manager and make sure the onboard video isn't showing up still. There's not a lot that can go wrong these days compared to putting a card in a 90s system.

Also be sure you grab the latest drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us 337.50 beta or 335.23 WHQL.

edit

Also because the 610 is a low power card (probably barely chewing up more than 30/40 watts at full load) and draws all its power from the PCI-E slot, you don't have to use a PSU with a ton of 12v AMPs. Nonetheless a good quality PSU is always good.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.