Victims of Cybercrime ?

Discussion in 'polls' started by CloneRanger, Nov 15, 2013.

?

Have you, and/or, do you know of Anyone who has been ?

1. I have

8.8%
  2. I have not

50.0%
  3. I know one person who has

17.6%
  4. I know more than one person who has

5.9%
  5. I don't know anyone who has

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Does getting infected by malware when you were a newbie count?

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ J_L

Only if it was a Cybercrime nasty.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Aren't most malware related to Cybercrime? Like being infected with one of the common social engineering trojans.

5. Janus

Janus Registered Member

A friend of mine, has been a victim of a, man in the middle attack, when he was doing banking online. But he was lucky, he only lost a small amount. Mainly because he checked the online bank account the same day. Now he knows, that his bank will never ask for personal informations, before a login. Sometimes is knowledge better than a Av. (btw, his browser is sandboxed now, by sandboxie). :D

6. guest

guest Guest

I get frauds every now and then. My mother get frauds every single day. Never caused fatal damage since we just ignore them, but still got frauds nonetheless. Sometimes I collect them just to laugh at and see some sort of patterns for future references.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Victim of spam? Even when not falling for it, your email address is targeted. Does that count? That's also why I think this topic needs clarification.

8. guest

guest Guest

Not only email addresses, but also our phone numbers and real addresses. I'm not going to be too surprised if they know what I usually eat for my breakfast. :ninja:

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I contracted a trojan on my notebook exactly five years to this very day ( 15/11/08 ) does that count?

Luckily I was running SUPERAntiSpyware in those days. That was also the day I started running MBAM.

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I've known many people who have fallen victim to identity theft or malware infection.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've been victim of CC Fraud.
    I've NEVER, EVER given out any information, never plug in random flash drives, ONLY use my "secure" and "locked" up computer (Not my desktop) to purchase things online, online banking and still somehow someone got my CC information and tried to make some huge transactions, luckily the bank called me and cancelled all the transactions before the damage was done.

I have a feeling that one of the e-commerce websites i use are at fault but i cant really confirm anything . . . anyways no damage was done. Close call. :rolleyes:

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Agree.
    By definition, cybercrime covers a broad scope of criminal activity.
    It can be anything from distributing viruses to identity theft.
    What is the scope of this poll?
    Do we know anyone who has been infected by malware, but has not had their identity stolen or bank account drained?
    I also agree that a security forum poll will not provide results consistent with a cross section of average individuals.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Last week a friend has experienced a ransomware.

14. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Thus far I have not. But then I am not a trusting soul. My PCs are configured to reflect that, along with my everyday behavior and habits.

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have just read an article according to which 12% of EU citizens were victims of a cyber crime, meaning their identity and card info were stolen or abused.

EDIT: Found the original, it is from 2012, but still it is far from MS claims: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-12-751_en.htm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.