VIA-sata, dos, and ghost

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by besonen, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besonen

besonen Registered Member

hi all,

has anyone ever used dos-based ghost to image a sata drive connected to a VIA-sata controller?

i've used ghost for quite a few years but have never ventured beyond version 8.0.0.984. if it ain't broke . . .

anyhow, i finally built my first sata system (asus a7v880 mobo) and dos-based ghost 8.0.0.984 won't recognize the sata drive (80 gb Seagate 7200.7 ST380817AS).

after googling the web and searching many forums (here, radified, storagereview, pcper, and arstechnica) for the past few days i've been unable to determine whether or not i'm going to be able to get any dos-based version of ghost to see this drive.

my confusion revolves around these details:

- various posts talk about dos sata drivers

- i'm not aware of any dos sata drivers for my mobo

- various dos-based diagnostic programs that i've tried _can_ "see" the drive and actually test the drive

- various posts state that ghost 2003 (after being updated) can "see" sata drives (although the posts haven't specifically referenced drive or controller details)

- i have yet to find one person that has used dos-based ghost to image any sata drive connected to a VIA-sata controller (i have seen many posts of folks doing so with intel and silicon image sata controllers)

has anyone ever heard of dos sata drivers? i'm under the impression they don't exist.

fwiw, i ordered ghost 2003 a couple days ago hoping it might miraculously solve my problem. i won't have it until later this week but if it's not going to solve my problem i need to start looking for an alternative solution asap.

thanks for any help,
    david

2. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

I'm using a VIA VT6410 controller, but without S-ATA drives. Why do you want to use MS-DOS based tools?

I'm evaluating Drive Snapshot, which creates Disk Image Backups while running Windows. You can choose to restore volumes from MS-DOS.

I've created a bootable MS-DOS USB stick (also fits on floppy disk) with NTFS drivers to be able to restore a Windows XP system volume from NTFS.

If you want to use MS-DOS take a look at the Paragon Software. Rescue Kit is only $ 39.95 and supports almost any feature (except dynamic disk and native network support).

Supported HDD Interfaces:
    P-ATA (IDE)
    S-ATA (SATA)
    SCSI
    IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
    USB 1.0/2.0

Support all versions of NTFS (Windows NT/2000/XP) under DOS, Linux and Windows 95/98/Me.

3. besonen

besonen Registered Member

one, because i don't trust imaging from the OS i'm trying to image. two, i've been using dos-ghost for longer than i can remember and i've never had a problem.

if i have to i'll go for something like Bart's PE or g4l but i'd rather not invest the time atm since i'm pretty time-crunched.

thanks for the pointer.

ciao,
    david

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.