VGN-NW21MF_S BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'hardware' started by korben, Nov 8, 2017.

1. korben

korben Registered Member

Machine: Device: laptop System: Sony product: VGN-NW21MF_S v: C602NWLK serial: N/A
    Mobo: Sony model: VAIO serial: N/A
    BIOS: American Megatrends v: R1120Y4 date: 08/20/2009

Am I going blind or is it a foregone conlusion that Sony doesn't go easy on me rendering location of the upgrade file barely possible?
    I have been looking for it but no success in finding the right file.
    Could you please assist me?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just had a quick look and was also not able to find a BIOS update, or even that BIOS version. Why do you want to do a BIOS update?

3. korben

korben Registered Member

For my Manjaro system/ dual-boot.

The guys in the know on the forum seek solution for my issue and the BIOS upgrade might be one of the possible solutions...hence....on the hunt.

thanks for your input!

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

With the date of that BIOS in 2009, it is highly unlikely there will be any update that is current. There is just no financial incentive for makers to invest resources that offer no returns on those investments - not to update the BIOS firmware on legacy hardware no longer in production.

It is important to note that most BIOS updates are created to correct bugs, or to add support for new "compatible" CPUs and RAM that came out since the firmware was "flashed" at the factory.

BIOS updates generally do NOT add support for new features - in particular, for motherboards/computers that have been out of production for many years.

5. korben

korben Registered Member

I ge the message, however,
    What I am driving at here is the fact that it used to be available, if my memory serves me well.
    I simply cannot locate it on the web.

6. Bill_Bright

Don't know what to tell you. Since this is a Sony device, and Sony is great for making things proprietary (not a good thing! :(), the Sony website for your device is where you should look. If not there, I would not try a 3rd party alternative unless you are willing to risk turning the laptop into a brick. :(

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I know from experience that for at least some older model Vaios, Sony provides very little support information.

8. Bill_Bright

I agree but Sony is not unique in that either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.