Vexira antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by b0m8ad1l, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b0m8ad1l

b0m8ad1l Registered Member

I'm looking for some information on vexira anti-virus for windows. Preferrably from someone with first-hand experience. I work in the education system and Vexira is offering some unbelievable prices. Considering my tiny budget, this would be a great buy for me. But I do not want to sacrifice protection/reliability. I have done some searching online, but have not come up with much. Mostly it is information from the company itself. I have only found one third party review of the software, and I would like a little more than that before I decide to spend the money with them. Thanks in advance for any input that you are able to give me.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Although the Vexira school offer looks very tempting, price hopefully is not your only consideration, particularly IF the Vexira engine is now based upon that in VirusBuster then detection rates may not be great.

Therefore, it may also be worth checking out AV alternatives for Educational establishments.

For example, take a look at F-Prot for Windows for educational discounts.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Don't mix Vexira with Avira!

4. Blackcat

Thanks, RejZoR for the correction. I will amend my post ;)

5. b0m8ad1l

Yes. F-prot does have some great discounts. Are there any other antivirus solutions that you would recommend comparing?

I notice that f-prot scores 84% to vexira's 51% on the latest virus.gr test. Which is the only test that I can find in which vexira is included. Needless to say, I would like to find an affordable alternative.

6. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

does kaspersky do school discounts?

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't know exactly at the moment, but isn't Vexira a Mac antivirus?

8. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Nope. Earlier versions of vexira used antivir engine. The Mac Antivirus what you mean is Virex :D

Vexira, Avira, Virex, Perplex :D

9. b0m8ad1l

I have already talked to Kaspersky. They do have school discounts, but is still significantly more expensive than vexira and f-prot. Although the sales rep did tell me that he could match a quote from another company. So I will see if he honors that, and I am still waiting to hear back from the Eset rep. I would like to use NOD32, as that is what I use personally and have a high comfort level with the program already. I hope they give me a good price!

Vexira offers av clients for windows, linux, and mac. After seeing the scan tests for it though. I am ruling it out. No matter how cheap they offer to sell it to me for.

10. Blackcat

Most of the commercial AV vendors have educational discounts so worth checking a few of them out.

I listed F-Prot for Windows as they are well known to give excellent value for money and their support is superb. Overall, IMHO, it gives the best value for price/performance.
    I would not take the results here at face value. Apparently the database is full of corrupted/damaged files.

11. Blackcat

I would be very pleasantly surprised if either Kaspersky or Eset can match the Vexira/F-Prot prices. You will have to balance protection/effect on system performance and price and hence my first thoughts were F-Prot.

Hope you post back when you have decided on your choice. Good Luck ;)

And a warm welcome to Wilders.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Right, messed that one...

13. ITGuy

ITGuy Registered Member

I don't like to correct people, nor do I do it very often.

1) Central Command's software is programmed in C. Hence it's portability to linux, aix, solaris, freeBSD and Windows. No MAC product at all.
    2) Have you asked any of these other companies for references?
    3) I've personally worked with Central Command in the past and their staff is superior bar none. they are a top notch group who will take care of their customer. Their products are fast and don't hog system resources.

Here's another thing you won't get from NOD, F-Prot, or any of the others.... when buying desktop licenses, because their holistic approach to anti-virus and keeping systems safe, however many licenses you have for the business/school is how many staff/personell can use on their HOME computer with the smae license.

Last but not least, don't believe every site that does benchmarks. Most are biased and don't or can't do an apples to apples test. Every software package is different. Bottom line with Vexira is that it's fast, powerful, easy to use and cost effective.

Talk to some of the schools they have as current customers. Get some references. Then do a proper evaluation and give it a fair chance before passing judgement blindly. I say that for ALL software packages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.