Very strange - MS root certs for XP

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by FanJ, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

(yes, I know that MS is stopping updates for XP and that today was the latest)

System: Windows XP Dutch

As you may know: updates for MS root certs on XP are optional and are differently handled compared to newer Windows versions.

The latest update for root certs for XP was from March 2014, which I had installed.
    See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/update-root-certs-for-windows-xp-march-2014.361286/

Today I see that there is an update for root certs for XP dated November 2013.

To be honest, I am kind of flabbergasted that I was offered an update from November 2013 while I had installed the update from March 2014.

I am wondering whether other users on XP are seeing the same. Probably on other language versions of MS XP.

What is going on here? Is this right? Is there an error on the MS Dutch update site? Is this also happening on other language versions of XP?
    Anyone know more about this? Any input is more than welcome!

Maybe I will try to upload some screenshots but I don't know whether I will succeed with that on the new board forum software.

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

MS-root-certs-2014_04_08_1.gif
    Trying to upload screenie of todays update offer.

3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

MS-root-certs-2014_04_08_2.gif Trying to upload screenie of MS history from March 2014.

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I ran update about a week maybe two ago and in the Optional list I also saw the November one even though I already had March version installed.

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thank you, act8192. Your reply is very much appreciated!
    So, I know now that it wasn't the MS Dutch site.

It really, really is puzzling me why there was an update dated November 2013 while you have already the one from March 2014 installed.
    If anyone knows the answer to that, please by all means share your knowledge with us!

MS-root-certs-2014_04_09_1.gif

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Check back early next week, if the do not reappear on WU - assume MS pulled them permanently.
    The MS Download Center may be an alternative but they are not listed as current, right now.
    There is no announced reason at this time other than sheer speculation.

Do remember XP is at End of Life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.