Very simple - Easy question about TI 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Osmosis, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osmosis

Osmosis Registered Member

I have the lastest updates for TI 10. I did a backup of my HD which has 2 partitions, C and D, about 35GB's total. It took slightly over 2.5 hours to complete and verify the image!

Here's the question - How long will TI 10 take to restore this image back to working C and D partitions?

One day - 2 days - my counter was as high as 7 days! I think 24 hours is too long.

I would love to hear from Acronis Tech support on this! There is NOTHING WRONG ABOUT MY SYSTEM - WELL, MAYBE, I HAVE VISTA!!!!

Rod

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Look at the size of your archive .tib files. It should take you very roughly about 1 min/GB if you used normal compression to create the image using Windows. About the same time again to validate it. If you used the rescue CD to create the image then having a time 2 or 3 times longer is not unusual. (The size of the partition is normally irrelevant because TI only images the "in-use" sectors not the whole partition unless it can't understand the structure. In this case it then does image every sector in the partition.)

The restore should take about the same time as the rescue CD creation time since even though the process is started in Windows (unless you booted the CD) it will leave Windows and load the Linux recovery environment.

If your times are exeedingly long it probably means that the Linux environment does not support your system very well; usually a poor device driver problem.

3. Osmosis

OK, Seekforever,

Thanks for your input; I read your input several times and it seems to say that the ATI restore program is having issues with my system and or I have a bad device driver.

The creation time of my image was OK per your 1min/GB scale but the restoral time is way, way out there.

There is no way to do the restoral in Windows and the point is worst case scenario you can't boot windows anyway and you're forced to use the restoral CD to re-build your system.

Having to wait more than 12 hours IMHO to restore a system is not exceptable. This is a home system but a business PC somebodies head would roll.

I am using an Seagate External HD to do the restore, it supports both FireWire and USB 2.0 - I'll have to install another "internal" HD to see if I can eliminate the "possible" bad driver.

Rod

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Just to clarify. The Linux operating system on the TI Recovery CD has device drivers which do not seem to work well with your system. You can't change those drivers, but TI support may be able to provide a disk with better drivers.

Alternatively, you could create a Bart PE disk with the TI 10 plug-in. That will boot into a Windows environment and should restore your system in about the same time it took to create the backup image.
    If you backup to (or copy the backup to an internal hard drive, it's more likely that the Linux drivers on the TI Recovery CD will support it well (and restores will be fast). The only way to tell is to try it.

5. Osmosis

OK, Thanks for the input jmk94903,

I think installing a internal 2nd HD is the way to go - so I'll give that a try before trying the Bart PE disk.

Oh by the way, I also had made a image of my system using Nero BackItUp 2 which had about 19 or so segments. Since the ATI had erased my HD I decided to restore using BackItUp 2 - it only took 7 Hrs and 25 minutes, way better than ATI would have taken. My system is back up and all is well.

Has anybody ever taken a Reliability survey about Acronis True Image? My vote would be it's not very reliable and if you need support quick, forget about it!

Rodo_O

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello Osmosis,

Using internal HDDs lets TI run at much greater speeds than using external drives.
    In my own case restores only take about one third of the image creation time. This does not include validation times as I do not run them.

A very convenient way to gain the advantages of using internal drives and still have "off site" security is to use removable drives in caddies. You can either set up to have more than one backup drive or more than one main drive.
    Of course you could have duplicates of both but that may be going a bit too far. There is also a possibility that the tower will not be able to take two racks.
    My own choice is to swap main drives. This not ony gives what I regard as the ultimate backup system it also enables testing in an simple and safe way.

Xpilot

7. Osmosis

Thanks for your suggestions, Xpilot......

Now, FLAME ON!!!!!! THIS SOFTWARE SUCKS SO BAD!!!

Only 19 more hours before my restore is done!!!!

I added a Raptor WD 10K RPM internal to my system and still I have to wait and wait. This is ridiculous!! No way on this planet is anyone expected to wait 24 hours for a restore - NO WAY!!

I've been a loyal customer of Acronis since TI 6, that's right going way, way back. It just doesn't make any sense for TI 11 to have system and or driver issues.

We don't even want to talk about Tech support, do weo_O

I'll be moving on to some other imaging backup program - I'm done here and SHAME on you Acronis!

I suppose this will be deleted - fine! You should also delete a lot of the messages in this forum....most of them tell the same story in one way or another.

Only 19 more hours to go....it could be my system, yeah, right!

Rod Moses:ouch: - out!!!!

Acronis, check your records and see all the licenses I have!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Osmosis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, could you please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly?

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post on the computer in question.

Please also create Acronis Report on the computer in question in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It sounds like the BootCD is treating your external drive as if it were USB 1.1. Contact Tech Support and see if they can't fix you up with a better boot CD. ATI is often excruciatingly slow with USB drives. Internal drives, much faster if, and only if, ATI Boot CD can see them so you have to start setting up a restore to see if it lists all the drives.

If you go to the trouble of making a BARTPE disk, the restore times should be close to the backup times since you would then be using Windows as the OS and using all Win drivers--the same ones you use when you do a backup from within Win.

good luck,

10. shieber

It's very common for Acronis to suggest that a user try to create a sysinfo file and write it to disk from a linux prompt, but I have never been able to get it to work. Not to mention what a pita that is for user, especially if the user is not an advanced PC user or is simply somene whose time is valuable.

Acronis needs to fid a better way to fix probs than to toss of the "make a sysinfo report fromthe Boot CD."

I can't believe that after 11 versions, that's still the modus operandi for tech support. Definitely not user friendly. If a the best advice from Acronis is to make a sysinfo report from within linux, I think the better advice is try another backup program.

I'd never recommend a product that was going to end up putting the user in that situation. And since it comes up so often with ATI, I've had to start recommending to clients to avoid ATI. I think it's a sad and unnecessary situation, only exacerbated by the not-ready-for-release version 11 that should be recalled until it's fixed -- instead of folks are getting the "make a sysinfo report. . ."

It's time for Acronis to mature as a software vendor or close down.

11. Osmosis

Hello, SHIEBER,

I wasn't going to post anything else in this forum but what and how you say in your post was very good and wanted to let you know I certainly could not have said it better!

Acronis better wake up!!!!!

Rod Moses:thumb:

12. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

Clearly this went badly for him - but just in case some new user is reading this - I also have Vista - I have TI 10 - I do my backups using TI 10 from windows to a USB external hard drive - I get that "2 day" then "1 day" processing time message. The first time I saw that I completely panicked... I just stared and it horrified. But you wait... and wait... and then it goes away. It takes me 15 to 20 minutes to do a restore (my image is about 20GB.)

Just in case someone else runs into that scary message "1 day" processing time.

Sandy

13. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Sandy,
    I have been very disappointed with Version 11 so I have got rid of it entirely by the simple expedient of rolling back, restoring a Version 10 image with a Version 10 CD.
    Do NOT be tempted to go for Version 11. Stick with Version 10 as it works. Version 11 has as many holes as a colander.

Xpilot

14. Osmosis

This is a sad state of affairs if you ask me. Just read something here about creating a Bart CD; read some of the instructions about adding some plug-ins and burning the whole thing to a CD.

I'm not a PC novice at all but the instructions had my head swimming. I would think that Acronis would provide a download or something if that fixes various troubles.

Yep - this is a sad state of affairs, alright!

Rod

15. shieber

I'm sure they would if they knew how to fix it. Apparently, they don't. That's the really sad thing.

16. The Sand

Hello XPilot... I concur! I was temtped I have to say (because I always am when newer versions of my software come around.) But unless you are very tech savvy this is not the software to do that with... the restore problems can be over my head to fix (thus I am grateful I haven't had any!)

So, I will wait until they are "builds" for some of the problems I already see here on the forum.

Happy restoring!
    Sandy:)

17. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Sleep tight, mind the bugs don't bite !

Or.. Backup right and the bugs CAN'T bite :-*

Xpilot

18. The Sand

hee hee....

Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.