Very Happy with NOD 32 but have a problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by worldcitizen, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I have had problems with NOD 32 recently when I installed it just to test drive the latest version with intent to buy it next week. This is the same problem I had over a year ago on a different PC which has prevented me from using NOD 32 until a fix is created or the problem can be solved.

Only a few hours after I had installed NOD 32 the other day, I noticed that it did not load sometimes when I logged into Windows and opened the program via 'All Programs' and noticed an empty gui with nothing in it. I then checked the event viewer and noted an alert 'NOD32 kernal failed to load'.

Now I finally figured out why I was attacked over a year ago - because NOD 32 kernel drivers had not loaded and I was not protected. Then too I noticed the GUI was empty but never bothered to check the event viewer which would have shown that the NOD32 kernal driver had failed to load.

There are times when the NOD 32 kernal just doesn't load and I'm left without protection and other times it loads but I'm at a loss as to why it randomly fails to load. This has occured with 2 different PC's. Plenty of memory and no other problems with any other programs failing to load except NOD so it's a worry because I want to buy it this week.

I'v been using Kaspersky Pro which has never failed me but I need to do some software testing and so wish to use First Defense ISR which is not really compatible with Kaspersky. Although there is a workaround, if by accident I turned on the Kaspersky defaults I could be locked out of my PC if I had 1st Defense on my PC so I was going to use NOD 32 for software testing but found numerous instances in the event viewer where the NOD 32 kernel driver had failed to load.

Anyone know what causes this problem or if there's a solution? I plan to buy NOD next Friday as it does it's job of protecting but seems to have bugs loading. I have plently of memory and not many start-up applications. This really concerns me because I'm sure to get attacked if the NOD 32 kernel driver fails to load. This is the only thing delaying me buying it so as soon as I can remedy this then I can use NOD 32 confidently again.

Cheers

Dave

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Questions before purchasing

Dave,

I have split your post out of this thread given the fact that thread needs to remain a request for refund support issue concerning that user and not intermingled with another users support issue.

Bubba

3. worldcitizen

That's fine. Is there anyone that can help with this issue?

I still would like to purchase NOD 32 in a few days and wish to try and find a workaround for this problem. It just sometimes doesn't load on Windows start-up and when I check in the event viewer I get a message saying that the NOD 32 kernel failed to start and this happened about 3-4 times on the same day I installed the trial.

Many Thanks

Dave

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Dave,
    If you'reusing XP then I would suggest to start by checking that the NOD32 Kernel Sevice is set to auotmatically restart in the event of failure and if it's not already set that way, change it so it is. Let us know if that makes any difference for starters. Cheers

5. worldcitizen

It's set to automatically start but sometimes doesn't.

Dave

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Are recoveries set to Restart on First/Second/Subsequent?

Blue

7. worldcitizen

OK I bought it. I haven't had it for over a year so I have a couple of questions.

1. What are the best settings and where can I find the latest 'best settings' from Blackspear? I did try them before but I 'think' I remember them slowing down either my PC or my scanning a bit. Don't mind the on demand scanning being slowed down but not the PC.

2. Didn't NOD 32 used to leave a notice at the bottom of emails that the email has been checked? Is there an option to do this. I don't really know if my emails are getting checked or not.

Regards

Dave

8. BlueZannetti

1. See here

2. See below, under IMON setup.

Blue

Attached Files:

9. worldcitizen

Thanks very much for the link Blue.

Q. 'Automatically display the download progress of larger files'. (IMON)

I'm downloading a 300mb file at the moment and there is no download display being shown by NOD 32. Is this right?

Dave

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the download display shows when a file is being downloaded in effecient mode. by default, nod32 automatically changes to compatibility mode for files larger than 2048kb i believe.

11. BlueZannetti

If I recall correctly, it depends on whether IMON is in active or passive mode. If it is in active mode, you may see it. In a passive download (which is what a 300 MB download would typically be), I don't believe this pops up at all. The pertinent settings are under IMON>Setup>HTTP.

Blue

12. worldcitizen

Thanks very much. Just checking that everything's working ok.

Dave

13. NOD32 user

If you've followed Blackspears Extra Settings guide then yes, definately.
    The progress indicator only operates for files being downloaded in higher compatability mode which by default is disabled but Blackspears shows turning it on in his guide.
    After that, any file larger than 2MB will automatically revert to higher compatability mode. This is also shown in Blackspears guide.
    Cheers :)

14. worldcitizen

If this is not the approriate thread than I apoplogise to you all. Move it please if you need to. I'm very happy with NOD 32 except for an ongoing problem since I bought it a couple of years ago.

Already today I've got this error message in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7022
    Date: 3/18/2006
    Time: 2:57:03 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: xxxxxxxx
    Description:
    The NOD32 Kernel Service service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

NOD 32 is working so far. I did install new Nvidia graphics drivers today and turned NOD 32 off during install. But this error message seems to appear often and sometimes it also says the 'kernel failed to load'.

But if you look at the date of the error it's today's date and I only bought and installed it yesterday so I wonder why this is happening. AV kernels failing to load or hanging can compromise any system so I am determined to make sure that this doesn't happen. What's the point in having the best AV in the world if it doesn't load ? That leaves me with nightmares about being compromised.

I haven't got time to troubleshoot this. It should work out of the box. All I wish to do is make sure that Eset are aware that this seems to be an ongoing problem and can be very serious and compromise systems.

I seem to have had this problem all along with NOD 32 and dropped the program for years because of this and never had this occur with any other AV. Now I've bought it again and it's the same story all over again.

I've stuck with Eset but they really should take a good look at this problem and try and fix it. It only happens with NOD 32 and never happened to me running Kaspersky Pro for a year so the problem is NOD 32 orientated and not my PC.

The NOD 32 kernel service is buggy. It hangs and sometimes doesn't load. I don't question the AV's ability to catch viruses but if it can't load it won't detect anything and that's why I got compromised last time - so I want Eset to fix this so I can use NOD 32 forever and not to be forced to change it for inferior AV's because it won't load properly.

I've given NOD 32 a fair go and bought it again now give me a fair go and please listen to my problems and don't always blame me and my PC. It's a bug with the NOD 32 kernel. Other people here have reported this problem. Also,other AV's never give me any problems so please someone who has some contact with Eset try and push for this problem to be resolved. An AV needs to load every time without fail and if it doesn't then that's a real scary scenario.

Cheers

Dave

15. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Re: Not happy with Nod32 - refund?

There was an incompatiblity with earlier versions of KAV 5 with FDISR. This came about from the IStreams use of NTFS ADS.

However if you were running this version of KAV you could uninstall it, clean off the IStreams, and reinstall without them. KAV then worked fine with FDISR.

And no such problems at all with the soon to be released KAV 2006 ;)

IME, I have never had any problems with KAV 5 and the 2006 betas with FD.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Re: Not happy with Nod32 - refund?

Worldcitizen, can you post your PC configuration please? Are you using Windows 2000/XP or Windows 98SE/Me?

Thanks,
    FC :)

17. worldcitizen

Intel Desktop Board D875PBZ
    Windows XP version 5.1 Service Pack 2 build 2600
    1,046,252 KB RAM
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
    Nvidia 660GT GPU

I am aware of the recent change in Kaspersky's compatibility but my license has expired so I decided to buy NOD 32 again after it did fail me and my PC got severely compromised. At 1st I thought it was the AV itself. Now after seeing the GUI 'disappear' I investigated the issue and found that there were numerous instances in the event viewer stating that the NOD 32 kernel failed to load. That was only during a 2 day period when I trialled the latest version. Yesterday I bought NOD 32 and today already I'm getting messages saying that the NOD 32 kernal hung etc etc. It appears that this is not an isolated issue confined to me as I read others on this forum having the same issue.

Now that I know this is what compromised my PC all I want is for Eset to try and fix it as it never happened to me using any other AV and this has happened on both this PC as well as on my old PC before I sold it.

I haven't the time to troubleshoot and as I said before. I had Kaspersky Pro for a year and it loaded perfectly everytime for 365 days so why can't NOD 32? It's nothing to do with my PC's or me or the programs I'm using. It is a bug or poor programming in the NOD 32 kernel which is causing it to conflict with Windows start up applications which doesn't occur in Kaspersky or Bit Defender, 2 AV's I used for a year each or in any other AV I've used - just in NOD 32.

It's up to Eset to fix this because NOD 32 not loading spells disaster. They need to optimize/tweak the kernel like other AV companies have done to get the product working properly. It's not our fault and it's not our job to spend hours trying to figure out why NOD 32 won't load properly. It's Eset's job to make it work out of the box and there are a few people who have mentioned this problem before so I hope they look into it. All I'm expecting for the money I paid is for the program to load consistently and not leave me unprotected.

I can only come here and post but I can't make Eset do anything. In the past 2 years they have not fixed this problem so I can only hope I don't get infected. Currently, all I can do is check the GUI ocassionally to make sure it's not 'empty'. Then I know it's running OK. I know what to look for but there might be times when I forget to check and the kernel hasn't loaded and I get attacked badly. That's what happened before so I can only hope I remember to check regularly that the NOD 32 kernel is running. A real nuisance until somebody fixes it.!!

Cheers

Dave

18. NOD32 user

I never did hear if yours was set like Blue suggested or not... :)

19. worldcitizen

What do you mean by recoveries? I just bought this NOD 32 after not using it for 2 years so I'm unaware of many new settings.

All I know is that sometimes the kernel isn't loading and my PC is exposed to threats. I have to check to make sure it's loaded otherwise I can be compromised. It happens sometimes but is a concern because the event viewer shows it happens regularly.

Dave

20. BlueZannetti

This is not a NOD32 setting. Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>NOD32 Kernel Service>Recovery tab. See screenshot below. What are yours set at?

Blue

Attached Files:

• nod2.png
      nod2.png
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
  21. worldcitizen

Thanks Blue,

Mine are all set to 'restart' on First/Second/Subsequent.

Dave

22. worldcitizen

Blue,

But regardless of this problem which surfaces now and again I'm very happy to have NOD 32. I think it gives me full cover and has been much improved to include such things like rootkits and Phishing protection etc. Also it's lighter on my PC and I can use First Defense although I could do that with Kaspersky I still am glad to have just that bit more protection with NOD 32.

This time I won't be requesting a refund!!

The kernel not loading is something I never was aware of before but now I am I realise that it wasn't the AV's fault that I got infiltrated but the AV not loading.

It's great to have NOD 32 again!!! I'm still looking at a good firewall but don't want something that slows me down.

Cheers

Dave

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Nice to see, I'd recommend Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, it works very well alongside NOD32. :)

24. worldcitizen

I reported years ago that my PC was infiltrated and that the NOD 32 GUI was empty. Since then I have bought and tried NOD 32 again and I am happy with it because I found out what caused it to miss the viruses - it didn't load.

Over the past few weeks I've checked my event viewer and I was right. There are many instances in the event viewer stating that the NOD 32 kernel failed to load. After a couple of minutes it DID load because it is set to load again should it fail. That helps but should I be attacked by a virus in that time I would be infected which is what happened before.

Why is the NOD 32 kernel so frequently failing to load? This is a concern as all my other programs load without fail but I don't have a lot loading. Eventually this problem needs to be addressed by Eset because it can become serious.

NOD 32 does definitely have problems loading at start up and many times fails and I hope this is on the list to be fixed. Just in case I'm bringing it up again here. I never had any problems with Kaspersky Pro loading ever so it's a NOD 32 issue. Is there any way to bring this to the attention of Eset?

Cheers

Dave

25. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Dave, I would email support and see if they can figure it out with your help :)

Waht could cause the loading problems? Other services / programs starting and killing NOD32 service, conflicts specific to certain drivers etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.