Very Dissapointed

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by awsomaha, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awsomaha

awsomaha Registered Member

Now it might be a FP from AVG free or it might be correct. But after not getting updates on Nod32 I decided to remove it and install AVG free on my wifes computer to see how that ran. :eek:

Needless to say, I was surprised when AVG came back saying she had 8 trojans installed. I did some research and most seemed legit. Should I be dissapointed that Nod32 didn't pick them up or should I be worried because FP's from AVG? Guess only time will tell..........:cautious:

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

do you have the settings maxxed out on NOD32?

Are you running regular scans?

3. awsomaha

awsomaha Registered Member

To be honest, no, I just installed it and left it default and as for regular scans, never did those either. But that goes for the same on AVG as well, I never did regular scans nor did I change any settings, left everything default.

4. jimroe

jimroe Registered Member

By default, NOD32 does not do automatic system scans unless you configure it to do them; by default, AVG Free does do automatic system scans.

Chances are that if you had ever done a scan with NOD32 it would have found those trojans.

My own experience with AVG Free, AVG Pro, and NOD32 V2.7 and V3 is that NOD32 finds problems that AVG does not.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  5. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

Could you post names of them here?

6. piranha

piranha Registered Member

why you did not get update for nod32 ?

Nod is a better than AVG, just have a look to indepedant comparatives tests !!!

7. ag393

ag393 Registered Member

i'm a user of nod32 and i have dealing with virus since dexember that nod32 2.7 fully updated and with extra settings in "on-demand scan" and this av is not detecting them.

this is very sad. i runned online scan with kaspersky and detected the virus. i have sent samples to eset but they didn't respond my emails.

this virus are sent by email, and some are stealling email contacts so the virus re-sends it self. this are trojan most likely and probaly are made in brazil and i'm portuguese, so they are spreading.

i am very upset with this situation, especialy eset not replying my emails.

in virustotal.com one sample of my trojans not detected is detected by various other vendors

~VirusTotal link removed per forum Policy. - Ron

so i can only think that at this time eset's analisys laboratory is not working properly!

best regards

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  8. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

9. ag393

ag393 Registered Member

Ok. I apologise for breaking the rules. But my only claim is: why is ESET at this time so slow to process this sample? I know its on a priority basis but 3 months i think its overtime.

many thanks to you all

10. User_1900

User_1900 Registered Member

I agree with one of the earlier posters. Based on my personal experience, certainly it was the case........when comparing NOD32 to one of the other programs (free or not), I decided to first max out the settings with BlackSpear's thread.

11. ag393

ag393 Registered Member

in the case i have described even BlackSpear's setings didn't do anything. One thing is for sure. one day after my post nod32 was detecting the virus i was talking about. coincidence? really don't know or care about it. today i tested another link for download of a trojan virus and nod32 euristics did work in deed. This is only confirms my thoughts. There is a decrease of eficiency of the AV during winter holidays and in the months of February/March to the database are added missed virus.
    I have noted this since some years but really can't explain why.
    any thoughts about this? did anyone feel the same?

by doing this critic i'm only trying to understand some issues, i still think nod32 is the best constructed, best programmed av, but security and comprehensive signatures of the virus reality is almost everything in this industry.
    But NOD32 cannot live of virus detection awards of the past. And people talk about avg or avast, but sometimes they detect new viruses (not false positives) and NOD32 does not.

best wishes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.